Beverly Chamber of commerce makes donation to Greater Beverly YMCA for health initiative
The Greater Beverly YMCA recently accepted a $5,000 donation from the Beverly Chamber of Commerce to bring raised garden beds and an associated science curriculum to the city’s elementary schools. The money was raised during the Chamber of Commerce’s annual golf tournament on June 10.
The garden project is part of “Be Healthy Beverly”, a collaborative initiative to improve the health and well-being of Beverly citizens. It is funded through a grant from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and is led by the Greater Beverly Y in partnership with Beverly Hospital.
“The ‘Be Healthy Beverly’ collaboration has representation throughout the Beverly community,” said John Somes, executive director of the Chamber of Commerce, in a recent announcement. “It's good to see a group of people come together that want to make a difference in encouraging healthy living. The Beverly Chamber of Commerce’s sole purpose is to support not only the local businesses but also our local community.
Somes added that having a great school system also reflects on the business community, "making Beverly a great place to work and live." The Beverly Chamber of Commerce, board of directors and staff are committed to supporting and making a difference within our community, he said.
The “Be Healthy Beverly” committee is comprised of representatives from the YMCA and city government, as well as Beverly Hospital, Beverly Bootstraps, the Chamber of Commerce, United Way, the Food Project and Children’s Hospital, among others.
“We’re so thankful to the Chamber of Commerce for their donation and the support of everyone on the ‘Be Healthy Beverly’ committee,” said Judith Cronin, executive director of the Greater Beverly YMCA, in a recent statement. “We are truly making a difference in the lives of young children, ensuring they have access to healthy fruits and vegetables through the salad bars, and now teaching them about growing their own foods and the nutritional science behind healthy eating.”
Last year, “Be Healthy Beverly” brought salad bars to the Beverly public elementary schools, aiming to give kids a fresh and nutritious choice for their lunches. Creating raised garden beds is the second phase of the project.
Through a partnership with Green City Growers, three beds will be installed at each elementary school. Green City Growers will also visit all third grade students throughout the year to teach students about gardening and growing their own foods. These lessons will match up with science, math and social studies curricula for that grade level.
The money raised by the Chamber will fund the program from the ground up. Garden beds, soil, seeds and the curriculum will be covered from these funds for a number of years. Children will learn about importance of working together from the beginning from planting the seeds, weeding, watering and harvesting, skills they can use throughout their lifetimes.
“I met with the committee a few weeks ago and the Green City Growers to discuss the program and curriculum. I was instantly sold,” said Somes. “The children and the elementary schools will greatly benefit from this educational program. Children will learn about gardening, nutrition and teamwork. In addition our elementary schools will be able to offer this great program for years to come.”
Weekly recycling comes to Beverly
All Beverly residents can put out their recycling for weekly collection, effective with the first weekly trash collection on July 1.
The change comes as a result of a new contract that was recently negotiated with the city’s trash hauler, JRM.
“Every pound of trash diverted into recycling is good for the planet and saves money,” said Beverly Mayor Bill Scanlon in a recent announcement. “We hope that weekly collection will encourage more people to recycle.”
Another change that comes along with the introduction of weekly recycling is that the number of 35-gallon trash barrels and/or bags each residence or apartment is permitted to use will drop from 10 per week to five.
“In order to pay for the increased recycling pick-ups, we’ve had to drop the limit of refuse collected," Scanlon said. "I think people will find that the more paper, glass, plastic and tin they put in their recycling bin, the fewer trash bags and barrels they’ll need. In the end it’s all good for the community and the environment."
No changes have been made to the types of materials that can be recycled and the maximum weight for any trash barrel or bag remains at 40 pounds.
For more details on the changes visit the city's recycling website. Residents with recycling questions that are not answered on the city’s web site can call 978-605-2355 or email their recycling questions to recycle@beverlyma.gov and can expect to have an answer within 24 hours.
Terri Ogan can be reached at oganglobe@gmail.com, or follow her on Twitter.
Beverly has "fairly good" voter turnout in Tuesday's special Senate election
A high percentage of Beverly residents came out to cast their vote than in past years in Tuesday's special Senate election, where Democrat Ed Markey defeated Republican newcomer Gabriel Gomez.
City Clerk Kathy Connolly said about 28 percent of Beverly's 25,407 registered voters came out to cast their ballot, according to unofficial numbers.
"We thought it was pretty good considering," Connolly said. "In light of the fact that we've had elections with a seven or eight percent turnout, I thought this was a good turnout."
Markey got about 53 percent of the votes, where as Gomez got about 47 percent of the votes. Their opponent, Richard Heos, took less than 1 percent of the votes.
Terri Ogan can be reached at oganglobe@gmail.com, or follow her on Twitter.
Beverly Bike Committee to host second annual bike drive
The Beverly Bike Committee, in partnership with non-profit organization Bikes Not Bombs, is hosting the second annual bike drive, which will include live music, information on upcoming events, and a bike-powered blender demo.
The event will take place on Saturday June 29 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Ellis Square.
This is the committee's second year partnering with Bikes Not Bombs, a nationally acclaimed, Boston-based organization that annually collects hundreds of unused bikes, fixes them up, and then redistributes to families in need or to partner communities in developing countries.
Bike Committee volunteers will be on hand to take the donated bikes, as well as extra wheels, tires, tubes, and components, and prepare them for packing.
There will be four parking spots set aside along Briscoe Street and Essex Street for dropping off any donations.
Several bikes have already been collected by Centraal Cycles and the Beverly Police Department for the event thus far.
Terri Ogan can be reached at oganglobe@gmail.com, or follow her on Twitter.
Owners of Beverly's Casa de Moda unveil large-scale mural
The owners of Casa de Moda on Cabot Street in Beverly have unveiled a large-scale mural that was constructed in order to enhance the atmosphere of downtown Beverly.
The mural, which is about 20 by 25-foot, is called "Calle Casa,” meaning home or house street, and depicts a narrow street with multiple shops and stores on each side and multiple patrons walking by. There is a beach along the horizon in the background, buildings have awnings and painted window signs or small wooden signs, and there is man walking a dog near foreground.
The project, which was spearheaded by local artist Philip Coleman, is the first of a three-part project that will be installed around the Casa de Moda building.
Production on the first mural started this past spring and was unveiled last Thursday in an official presentation with dignitaries from City Hall and Beverly Main Streets, among others.
"I'm very pleased," said Janice Preston, co-owner of Casa de Moda. "We've gotten lots of really good comments from people stopping to watch and seeing the progress over the weeks. There are little things going in now to get you wander through it and be surprised by small things like a pigeon in a doorway and a cat in the window."
Preston added that Coleman, along with his three Montserrat College of Art interns who have been helping him on the project, will be adding finishing touches on the mural for the next few days.
The type of art going up is called “trompe l’oeil” in French, which in English means, “deceives the eye.”
And the first mural does just that.
"Someone asked me what happens if someone decides to drive in because it looks so real," Preston said.
Three-foot black cement barriers with reflective paint have been installed to stop patrons and residents from attempting to drive into the mural, Preston added.
To start the mural, Coleman and his interns sketched out the design, put a grid padding on the wall after priming the wall, then transferred the sketch onto the wall by painting it.
Coleman said now that everything is coming together, he is satisfied with the outcome.
"The thing that pleased me the most was the reaction from the people that passed by," Coleman said. "Some people would come by everyday to see what new additions that were put on. There was a lot of positive community response. I'm kind of a perfectionist but I'm pleased with the way it came out."
Coleman added that along the way he endured some challenges. He said that the brick surface made painting the mural difficult, and the final product doesn't always come out like it appeared in the initial sketches.
To overcome obstacles Coleman said he had to make adjustments in terms of perspectives, and "where you put the people and the buildings, but it eventually comes together."
The mural isn't completely finished, as Coleman has been been making small additions each day. The positive feedback is the most gratifying aspect of the job.
"I was so grateful for the people coming by and giving their complements and saying what it is doing for the city," Coleman said. "It's the reason I do it, is to get a positive react on from the people and give back to the community."
The local artist said that other businesses have inquired about painting murals on their own buildings.
Coleman is hoping to start the second installation, entitled "Casa Harbor," in September, which will incorporate a New England style harbor scene with stone paths going through a garden.
The third mural, entitled "Casa Gallery," will go up in Spring 2014 and feature a series of fine art paintings on vacant windows and doors.
Terri Ogan can be reached at oganglobe@gmail.com, or follow her on Twitter.
Addison Gilbert and Beverly hospitals celebrate community and organizational achievements
Beverly Main Streets launches new block party event
Beverly Main Streets is kicking of "The Block," a new, free, street party event slated to launch next month.
On Saturday July 13 and Saturday August 3 from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Beverly residents and visitors alike can enjoy live music, street food, beer and wine, which will be sold at Drink, the pop-up street bar that will be located in the middle of the festivities.
The block party will be held on a blocked-off section of Cabot Street.
Local band Caspian will be performing at the July 13 event, accompanied by special guests Marika Whitaker, World's Quietest Band and That's Magic!.
For more information Beverly Main Streets at 978-922-8558.
North Shore Nursery School turns 50
Manchester-by-the-Sea resident makes hefty donation to Greater Beverly YMCA
From left to right: Ralph Bates, Beth Francis (YMCA of the North Shore Chief Development Officer), James Polese (Morgan Stanley), Greg Meahl (Greater Beverly YMCA Board Member) and Judith Cronin (Greater Beverly YMCA Executive Director).
A Manchester-by-the-Sea resident has donated $150,000 to the Greater Beverly YMCA, which is the largest annual operating gift from a single donor that the organization has ever received, according to Rob Thatcher, the Y's financial development associate.
Ralph Bates of Manchester-by-the-Sea donated $75,000 to support the Y and offered an additional $75,000 if the Y could raise matching funds by May 17. The Y met that challenge, raising $75,000 by the deadline.
“Ralph presented us with this matching gift challenge and I knew we would succeed in raising the money,” said Judith Cronin, executive director of the Greater Beverly YMCA, in a recent announcement. “I want to thank Ralph for his generosity and deep desire to help those in need. I also want to thank our community for their support of this fund-raising campaign. With these donations, we’ll be able to provide even more opportunities to our neighbors who count on the Y for childcare and summer camp as well as youth development and healthy lifestyle programs.”
In order to raise the matching funds, the Y implemented a 30-day strategy entailing internal marketing, e-mail messaging to members and donors, and a fund-raising component through Razoo.com, a crowdfunding for causes website, Thatcher said.
One in five people receive financial assistance each year at the Greater Beverly Y, totaling more than $700,000.
“I feel so bad about people who don’t have anything,” Bates said. “I used to be a member of the Woburn Y many years ago and I would go there to play basketball. I thought that was what the Y was all about, until I met the folks at the Greater Beverly Y. They told me about the great charitable work they do. I know they help a lot of people.”
One hundred percent of every donation to the YMCA’s Y For All Annual Campaign supports the Y's Financial Assistance Program. Through financial assistance, the Y provides essential programs and services to local children, families, and individuals who would otherwise be unable to afford them.
Beverly police arrest two Salem men on multiple drug charges
Beverly police arrested two Salem men on June 14 in the Gloucester Crossing area on multiple drug accounts after an officer observed a car with possible window tint violation.
Leonardo Reyes, 24, and Rudy Reyes, 20, were charged with possession with intent to distribute a Class B drug (cocaine), drug violation within 500 feet of a school, and conspiracy to violate drug laws. Leonardo was additionally charged with a window tint violation.
The two men, who told Beverly officer Tom Nolan that they are not brothers, were arraigned at Salem District Court.
On Friday, Nolan pulled over Leonardo for a window tint violation after he turned onto Simon Street, according to a statement from Officer Mike Bocuzzi.
Nolan suspected both men were attempting to secrete drugs by swallowing them and ordered both men out of the vehicle, the statement said.
Once out of the vehicle, Nolan recovered two small twists of what was believed to be cocaine from Rudy Reyes. The officer searched the car and retrieved 11 more corner twists of the suspected drug, in addition to $1,1717, an additional $253 from Rudy and another $360 from Leonardo, the police report said.
In total, Nolan seized $2,330 in cash and approximately $950 worth of cocaine.

