Funding for the stalled Concord-Carlisle high school building project has been restored, more than six months after the state yanked $28.8 million worth of grant payments over concerns that the project had ballooned over budget and scope.
The original agreement between the district and the Massachusetts School Building Authority granted the district $28,781,100 in state reimbursement; in the letter from the state dated Jan. 10, the grant is reduced to $28,587,347.
“We are thrilled to formally secure this reinstatement,” said Concord-Carlisle Superintendent Diana Rigby in a statement about the funding sent out in a newsletter. “I am thankful for all the work to get to this point and I look forward to moving this important project forward so we can deliver a state-of-the-art educational facility for the students and families of Concord and Carlisle.”
At the end of June last year, the state halted grant payments to the district, saying that the project had veered off schedule, and that its design was both over scope and budget. Last March, according to school officials, the project was poised to run between $15 million and $17 million over its $75.1 million building construction budget; those costs have since been reigned in.
The project was originally expected to break ground this past fall, but it has been on hold while district officials reworked building design plans. Late last year, Concord-Carlisle Regional High School Building Committee Chair Stan Durlacher told the Globe that the project was still on track to hit its completion date of fall 2015.
In the district’s newsletter, officials say that in spite of delays, the project is expected to be completed by December 2015.
The next Building Committee meeting is scheduled for Jan. 30 at 6:00 p.m. in the lower library at the Concord-Carlisle High School.
Evan Allen can be reached at email@example.com