An early morning fire on the second story of a duplex on East Street Wednesday morning left one firefighter with minor injuries to his hand and two residents in the hospital with smoke inhalation.
Deputy Fire Chief Bill Spillane said the blaze, which was contained in the left unit, most likely began after “improper disposal” of a cigarette.
Most of the residents were out of the home by the time firefighters arrived around 7 a.m. The rest exited the building shortly thereafter.
Spillane said an “agressive attack” and an attempt to push back the fire to the bedroom where it started, allowed firefighters to keep flames from spreading to the second residence. However, the first residence will most likely need to be gutted and rebuilt, he said.
“The other side was fine, and we are fortunate that everything went well,” he said. “We were basically able to push the fire back and keep it on that side of the house.”
The two residents who were taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston via ambulance for smoke inhalation are expected to recover fully, an official said.
Natalie Feulner can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.