The Dedham Square Improvement Project construction is in its 15th week, and crews have worked about 17 percent of the 380 days allowed in the project contract. Here’s a look at work planned for this week.
• The reconstruction of the sidewalk on the westerly side of Washington Street from School Street to High Street will continue this week. Work will consist of grading and forming for and pouring of concrete. The brick banding will be installed in the sidewalk at a later date. The sidewalk and the six parking spaces within this limit of work will be temporarily closed for up to two weeks. Temporary access ways through the construction area will be provided for all businesses and residential buildings while construction in this area takes place.
• When the forming for and pouring of concrete for the section of sidewalk mentioned above on Washington Street is underway, the reconstruction of the sidewalk on the westerly side of Eastern Avenue will begin from Bryant Street to just south of the pedestrian bump out near Mocha Java. Work will consist of the removal of existing curbing and concrete sidewalks, installation of underground utilities, installation of new granite curbing, and forming for and pouring of concrete. The brick banding will be installed in the sidewalk at a later date. The sidewalk and the eight parking spaces within this limit of work will be temporarily closed for up to three weeks. Temporary access ways through the construction area will be provided for all businesses and residential buildings while construction in this area takes place.
• The Eastern Avenue sidewalk adjacent to the Keystone Parking Lot has been reopened for public access. The contractor still has some miscellaneous concrete work towards the street side remaining on this section of sidewalk and may be working in this area at some point during the week. The sidewalk should be able to remain open while work takes place. However, the on-street parking spaces will be temporarily closed while work is taking place and reopened at the conclusion of the work day.
• The reconstruction of the Keystone Parking Lot retaining wall is scheduled to continue this week. Work will consist of the construction of the new concrete retaining wall, facing the concrete retaining wall with stone veneers cut from the existing retaining wall blocks and backfilling the retaining wall on the parking lot side to construct the remainder of the Keystone Parking Lot. Approximately 250 feet of sidewalk adjacent to the retaining wall from Eastern Avenue to the Route 1 bridge overpass will be closed for approximately six to 10 weeks. The existing 10 parking spaces located on High Street adjacent to the retaining wall will be unavailable for approximately four to five weeks during the construction of the concrete retaining wall. Once the concrete wall is poured and backfilled, the parking spaces will be once again available.
• Various utility companies will be working within the area of High Street near the retaining wall where the new utility poles have been installed over the next several months to switch their overhead utilities from the existing poles to the new poles. Once all the overhead utilities are switched over, the old poles will be removed.
Except where noted above, the working hours for this week will be 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Natalie Feulner can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.