This week workers for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority reinstalled a century-old plaque marking the completion of the first subway tunnel in the world to run beneath an area of ocean.
The plaque was installed at State Street station in 1904, at the completion of what was then known as the East Boston Tunnel. Now a part of the Blue Line connecting Maverick station to the Aquarium stop, the tunnel originally provided passage for streetcars from Maverick Square to State Street and on to Court Street.
The plaque was reinstalled near the entrance to the outbound platform at State Street as part of the Blue Line modernization project. The station has undergone $68 million in improvements in recent years as part of a plan to make Blue Line stations more accessible for people with disabilities and to expand the line to six cars per train rather than four.
The MBTA board earlier this month approved a $27 million construction contract with Barletta Heavy Division Inc. to rebuild the Orient Heights station, the 10th station on the Blue Line to be upgraded. The Federal Transit Authority has pledged to reimburse the MBTA for 80 percent of the costs.
(Jeremy C. Fox for Boston.com)