THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Framingham loses out on federal education money announced Aug. 25

Posted by Megan McKee  August 27, 2010 09:00 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Framingham was one of only 11 communities that missed out on $204 million in federal education funds announced Wednesday by the Patrick administration.

“It’s very disappointing,” said School Committee chair Michael Bower. “If you look at what we had to do this year in laying off 55-plus people and going to cuts in services with busing and extracurricular activities, the need is here. The money would have been helpful.”

Bower said the school superintendent estimated Framingham would get about $250,000 based on the state’s education funding formula.

But since the town is in the midst of a five-year corrective action to balance years of inequity in Framingham’s state aid funding, the town was unfairly penalized, said Bower.

“The federal money should be considered in isolation,” he said. Framingham is in the third of five years of state aid increases to bring the town up to par with other communities, said Bower. This means the town this year got $2 million over last year’s state aid amount.

Bower said the $250,000 could have funded four teaching positions. “It's nothing to sneeze at,” he said.

He said the School Department is talking with Framingham’s legislators to find out if there’s any way the town can get the money it expected.

Other communities that missed out include Malrborough, Salem, Revere, Everett, Auburn, Wales, Ware, Southern Worcester, Southbridge, and Chicopee.

Megan McKee can be reached at megan.mckee@gmail.com.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article