THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Framingham fire dept. receives several possible carbon monoxide poison calls due to snowstorm Nemo

Posted by Jaclyn Reiss  February 9, 2013 05:50 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

After receiving several calls from Framingham residents with carbon monoxide gathering in their home, Framingham fire officials are warning homeowners to clear snow from their outdoor heating vents and make sure to install carbon monoxide detectors to prevent poisoning from the lethal gas.

About eight Framingham residents have called the fire department in the past 24 hours, which is "much more than usual," because their indoor carbon monoxide detectors began beeping, according to Framingham Deputy Fire Chief Anthony Pillarella.

Carbon monoxide can build up in homes and cars if the vents are blocked by snow, Pillarella said.

In one case today, a man's home filled with the poisonous gas after the wind blew carbon monoxide being vented outside in through his open basement door, Pillarella said.

No one calling the department experienced symptoms or had to be transported for medical attention, he said.

"We did clear vents for some people, and we had to shut off some heating equipment until it could be taken care by NStar or the home's oil company," Pillarella said.

Earlier today, an 11-year-old Dorchester boy died after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning inside a car that had a blocked tailpipe this morning near the Roxbury-Dorchester line. The boy was taking a break from shoveling out from the blizzard.

Pillarella said that residents can prevent carbon monoxide poisoning by installing carbon monoxide detectors and making sure all outdoor heating vents are clear.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

High levels of carbon monoxide inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death, according to the CDC.

--
Follow us on Twitter: @yourframingham, @jaclynreiss

Jaclyn Reiss can be reached at jaclyn.reiss@globe.com

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article