More than 2,000 Lexington residents remain without power as crews continue to respond to trees toppled by Monday’s hurricane, but officials are hopeful trick-or-treating won't be canceled.
Town Manager Carl Valente said there are nine locations spread out around the town where major trees are down and tangled up in utility wires.
But overall, Valente said Lexington faired well in the storm.
“It’s not that bad for us,” he said. “Most of the town is in good shape.”
Valente said no injuries or major structural damage was reported from the storm.
Town officials will be meeting later this afternoon to discuss whether schools will reopen Wednesday, and to discuss whether or not Halloween activities should be curtailed.
Last year after significant damage was caused by a nor’easter, the town asked parents to keep their kids indoors on Halloween night rather than risk their safety with fallen debris.
Trick-or-treaters may have a few remaining fallen branches to contend with Wednesday, but Valente said Tuesday morning that he’s assuming Halloween will still be on tomorrow night.
“We think we’ll be ok with some common sense on behalf of parents,” Valente said.