Malden gives soccer league the boot over beer
An amateur adult soccer league has had its license to use Malden's Macdonald Stadium revoked after the city's police chief found players openly drinking at the stadium.
Police Chief Kevin Molis was off-duty in the area of the stadium on June 23 when he noticed a man walking down the street trying to conceal a beer can inside his t-shirt. Inside the stadium he found two more men drinking and a cooler of beer, he said.
Molis spoke to the men, but didn't cite them, he said.
"They probably didn't fully recognize who I was at time," Molis said. "They were warned and admonished."
The group using the field was D-One Soccer, an adult soccer team in its first year renting the field from the city on Sunday evenings. It was the fourth of 10 dates reserved by the league, according city spokeswoman Kathleen Manning Hall. The league also plays games in Everett.
Molis notified the city's stadium commission, which held an emergency meeting on June 29 and voted without objection to revoke the league's license to use the stadium, Manning Hall said.
Jeff Paul, co-founder of D-One Soccer, said the incident was the result of one team in the 15-team league violating regulations, and that team has been dismissed from the league.
"We have strict rules and regulations, this is one team that was not compliant," he said. "If you can't comply with certain rules and regulations, we can't accept that behavior."
Paul, a Malden resident, said he planned to try to appeal the license revocation.
"It's a blow, it's a big blow, I really feel bad about this," he said.
Molis said he believed the stadium commission handled the situation appropriately.
"They placed a priority on it, and they were fair and judicious," he said.
The stadium is owned and operated by the city. There was some controversy last year when a start-up semi-pro football team tried to lease the field for spring games. Some residents pushed against the proposal because the team wanted to serve alcohol during games.
The Stadium Commission is expected to review its policy for leasing the stadium at a meeting July 10.
Jarret Bencks can be reached at bencks.globe@gmail.com. Follow him on twitter @JarretBencks.
Buses to replace trains on part of Orange Line on several nights during July
Subway service between the Orange Line’s four most northern stations will be replaced by buses after 9 p.m. on several nights this month, according to the MBTA.
Shuttles will run between Oak Grove Station and Sullivan Square Station from 9 p.m. until the end of service on Monday, July 1, Tuesday, July 2 and from Sunday, July 7 through Thursday, July 11, officials said.
The buses, which are accessible for people with disabilities, will stop at those two stations as well as at the two stations in between: Malden Center Station and Wellington Station, according to the T’s website.
Assembly Square Station Project, officials said.
Meanwhile, T officials said that "the Orange Line may experience some minor delays in service due to the Oak Grove Platform Rehabilitation Project." That project, scheduled to continue into September, includes complete reconstruction of the Oak Grove Station platforms. The station will remain accessible for people with disabilities throughout the project.
For more information, contact the MBTA Customer Communications Department at 617-222-3200, TTY: 617-222-5146.
E-mail Matt Rocheleau at mjrochele@gmail.com.
--
For more news and stories about the MBTA, follow @LifeontheMBTA on Twitter, here.
For the latest updates about your community, follow some of our local neighborhood, city and town Twitter accounts, here.
Five months after Malden fatal shooting, authorities seek public's help
The Middlesex County Attorney's office and Malden police are again appealing to the public in an attempt to identify two suspects in a shooting outside a Malden skateboard shop in January.
Shawn Clark, 39, of Saugus was gunned down outside his store, Patriot Skateboards at 804 Main St., after two armed men wearing masks confronted him inside the shop about 12:45 p.m on Jan. 29.
Surveillance cameras inside the shop captured images of the suspects, which authorities first released to the public in February.
In an announcement Monday, Middlesex Attorney Marian Ryan and Malden Police Chief Kevin Molis said they were once again appealing to the public in identifying the suspects.
"Authorities have made some progress, but no one has been charged in connection with the incident at this time," the announcement said.
The images, released by the Middlesex County District Attorney' office, show two men wearing black pants, hooded sweatshirts with dark-colored jackets over them and latex gloves enter the store. One of the men points a handgun at someone behind the counter, who is not visible. The images were captured by multiple security cameras inside the shop.
One suspect is described as 6 feet tall, the other 5 foot 10 inches to 6 feet tall, the statement said.
Police are asking that anyone with information call Massachusetts State Police at 781-897-6600 or Malden Police at (781) 397-7171.
Teamwork lifts Rivercats to Malden Minor League title
The following was submitted by Malden Little League:
The Malden Rivercats Minor League Baseball Team had an incredible year. The team finished with a regular season record of 11-4-1. The one tie was the only factor keeping them out of first place.
The team is made up of 14 dedicated players. The majority of players were able to play 4 or 5 different positions throughout the season and such versatility would make even Bill Belichick proud. Sebastian Banol, Connor Cavanaugh, Mario Cucuzzo, and Molly Sewell specialized at second base and all outfield positions. Stephan Curtin was the outfield Captain; studying the skill level of the opposing team’s batters and then directing his fellow outfielders on where to properly position themselves. Colton Cutillo played the infield and outfield but is best known for his incredible speed. William Coneeny anchored third base with great success. Tyler Lordan, Jacob Forosisky, Daniel London, and Bobby Spoto juggled the positions of shortstop, second base, and outfield. Brendan Rooney and Madison Smith covered first base.
Thomas Curran was the starting catcher most games and along with Daniel London, Bobby Spoto, and William Coneeny, produced incredible results by throwing out base runners attempting to steal as well as tagging out runners trying to score.
The defensive strength of the team was the pitching staff. Brendan Rooney, Thomas Curran, Jacob Forosisky, Madison Smith, Daniel London, Bobby Spoto, and Mario Cocuzzo pitched with heart and accuracy, keeping runs scored to the lowest in the league.
The team’s offense was magnificent in its own right. Blasts far out into the outfield by Stephan Curtin, William Coneeny, Bobby Spoto, Daniel London, Thomas Curran, Jacob Forosisky, Madison Smith, and Brendan Rooney made the year that much more exciting. Molly Sewell had the most intimidating batting stance and a great eye. Mario Cucuzzo, Connor Cavanaugh, and Sebastian Banol hit consistently throughout the year, giving their team much needed runs. Tyler Lordan and Colton Cutillo could hit in the infield or outfield and even hit into the opposite field, making them very valuable at the plate.
On June 15, the Rivercats team, with their heads held high, marched into the playoffs with confidence and flare. The first playoff game was against the B-Mets and the Rivercats were victorious, 12-9. Daniel London, Brendan Rooney, and Thomas Curran pitched with a combined 12 strikeouts. Between walks and hits, every Rivercat player was able to safely get on base during the game. Bobby Spoto and Daniel London both got doubles in the game.
The next playoff game was against the feared Mudcats, a team that won the city series against the Rivercats last year. Jacob Forosisky, Bobby Spoto, Tommy Curran, and Daniel London pitched and struck out 15 opponents combined. The Rivercats quick and reactive minds along with physical speed on the base paths allowed them to win, 12-7, to catapult into the playoff finals.
The championship playoff game was against the Sandgnats, the regular season first-place team. The Rivercats pitching was flawless with Brendan Rooney and Madison Smith on the mound. Brendan Rooney pitched into the fifth inning, with Madison Smith finishing the fifth and sixth inning. They combined for 14 strikeouts, with Madison Smith striking out the side in the sixth inning to win the game, 11-6.
The Rivercats' 11 runs were a result of every player’s ability to get on base and forge their way to home plate. The mighty Sandgnats were held to a mere 6 runs, much to the credit of the Rivercats defensive players who put forth the time and effort to practice and improve upon their skillsets to create a collaborative and disciplined team of champions.
The Rivercats magic ingredients that propelled them to win the 2013 Minor League City Series Championship was hard work, dedication, teamwork, and a pure love for the game of baseball.
Photos: Malden Farmers Market opens for season
The first Malden Farmers Market of 2013 was held Tuesday at 200 Pleasant Street, across from the Malden Center MBTA stop (Photos courtesy of the city of Malden).
![]()
Tuesday's vendors included Busa Farm in Lexington, DD's Dressing and Rett's Baked Goods.
![]()
Various vendors will be featured every week, including a pasta maker, cupcake maker, and chocolatier, according to the city. The market will be held every Tuesday until Sept. 24 from 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.
![]()
Along with the farmers market, local bands will be featured in a weekly concert series at City Hall Plaza from July 9 to Aug. 13. More information on the series can be found at the city's website.
![]()
Jarret Bencks can be reached at bencks.globe@gmail.com. Follow him on twitter @JarretBencks.
Police: Malden woman doused man with gas, threatened to light him on fire
After an argument on the night of June 10, the boyfriend of Sue Faragi-Snow, 45, left their Maple Street apartment, but when he returned the following morning, Faragi-Snow was waiting, according to a statement from Malden Police Lieutenant Marc Gatcomb.
Faragi-Snow allegedly splashed gas on the man as he entered the apartment, hit him with a broken leg chair, threw shards of glass, and threatened to kill him and burn down the building with a lit cigarette, Gatcomb said. The man fled the apartment and called police.
A search found most of the electronics and appliances in the apartment to be destroyed, the walls covered with black spray paint, and the toilet seat broken off and left in the bedroom, police said.
Faragi-Snow is charged with assault to murder, attempting to burn a building, two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, vandalizing with a noxious substance, and malicious destruction of property.
Jarret Bencks can be reached at bencks.globe@gmail.com. Follow him on twitter @JarretBencks.
Markey wins hometown Malden, but turnout low
Ed Markey garnered 72 percent of the votes in his hometown of Malden in Tuesday's special election, but only 28 percent of registered voters showed up, according to City Clerk Karen Anderson.
When Martha Coakley and Scott Brown faced off in a US Senate special election in 2010, 49 percent of Malden voters cast ballots, Anderson said.
"I think it was a combination of things," she said. "This campaign never heated up the way the other one did."
Markey received 5,888 votes in Malden, Gabriel Gomez received 2,198, and Richard Heos received 40 votes, Anderson said.
Markey has listed his childhood home on Townsend Street as his home address since first being elected to Congress in 1976. He also owns a home in Chevy Chase, Md.
Jarret Bencks can be reached at bencks.globe@gmail.com. Follow him on twitter @JarretBencks.
Builders' Club votes to donate spring event proceeds
Environmental officials to meet in Everett about cleanup of casino site
The meeting, scheduled for 10 a.m at City Hall, will be followed by a visit to the 32-acre parcel, the former site of a Monsanto chemical factory. It will be the first public meeting on the project since Everett voters on June 22 overwhelmingly aproved a referendum to allow a casino to be built in the small industrial city.
"We want to make sure the site is cleaned up to a very high standard," said Chris Gordon, the project manager for Wynn.
The Wynn group already has filed an environmental notification form, a key requirement of the Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act, which outlines the scope of the project.
"Once a study of the environmental impact is completed, those findings will determine what approvals are required from state agencies," said Reggie Zimmerman, a spokesman for the state Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs, which oversees the MEPA review.
Fort Point Associates of Boston has been hired by Wynn as an environmental consultant, according to the notification form. On June 13, Somerville Mayor Joseph Curtatone submitted a petition to FBT Everett Realty, the company that owns the land, to designate the land a Public Involvement Plan Site so that residents of neighboring communities would have the right to voice their opinions on how the site is developed.
Wynn is proposing to build a 19-story, bronze-colored glass tower that would include a 551-room hotel, a 24-hour casino, and upscale shops and restaurants. A winter garden and public access to the waterfront also are part of the proposal.
Wynn is one of three developers that have applied to the state gambling commission for the single license to operate a casino in eastern Massachusetts.
The environmental filing gives a glimpse into the development's footprint. The 32.4-acre site includes 8.3 acres of water, according to the filing.
Buildings on the site would reach a height of 300 feet, and include 2.8 million square feet of space. An estimated 392,700 gallons of water would be used each day on the site, the filing states. Kathy McCabe can be reached at kmccabe@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @GlobeKMcCabe.
11 members of Malden's 'Maplewood Organization' indicted
The core members of an alleged large-scale drug trafficking organization based in Malden have been indicted, prosecutors announced Monday.
Eleven members of a group referred to by authorities as "the Maplewood Organization," face charges stemming from an investigation that revealed they arranged to have shipments totaling over 400 pounds of marijuana sent from California to Malden in February and March, according to the Middlesex district attorney's office.
Seven of the men were arrested in March. Four more now face charges, including a California man who allegedly helped arrange shipments of marijuana to Malden.
Raids of homes in Malden and Lynn in March found six unregistered handguns, and packages of marijuana and other drugs including cocaine, ecstasy, and angel dust, Middlesex DA Marian Ryan said in a statement.
Dat Tran, 23, of Malden, who has been described by prosecutors as the organization's leader, was indicted by a Grand Jury on charges of possession of ammunition as an armed career criminal; trafficking over 100 pounds of marijuana; conspiracy to traffic over 100 pounds of marijuana; money laundering; and conspiracy to launder money. In an initial arraignment in March, bail was set at $100,000 for Tran. Other alleged members of the organization had bail set between $5,000 and $100,000.
Some of the men have been on the radar of local police since they were as young as 10, when they used to light small fires around the Maplewood neighborhood, Malden Police previously said.
Along with Tran, the following individuals also were indicted:
- Reginald Miller, 20, of Malden is charged with possession of a large capacity weapon during the commission of a felony; possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number during the commission of a felony; possession of a large capacity feeding device; improper storage of a large capacity weapon; trafficking in marijuana over 100 pounds; possession of a firearm as an armed career criminal; six counts of possession of ammunition as an armed career criminal; breaking and entering with intent to commit a felony; attempt to commit a crime; and conspiracy to traffic in marijuana over 100 pounds
- Daniel Knight, 23, of Malden is charged with possession of ammunition as an armed career criminal; possession with intent to distribute a class B substance; and receiving stolen property with a value over $250.
- Terrell Rollin-Sutton, 20, of Malden is charged with possession of a large capacity weapon; possession of a large capacity magazine; possession of ammunition; breaking and entering in the daytime with intent to commit a felony; attempt to commit a crime; and possession with intent to distribute a class D substance.
- Joshua Joyner, 21, of Malden is charged with trafficking marijuana over 100 pounds and conspiracy to traffic marijuana over 100 pounds.
- Brendan Joyner, 20, of Malden is charged with possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number; improper storage of a firearm; possession of ammunition; and possession of a class B substance.
- Deandre West, 21, of Malden is charged with breaking and entering in the daytime for a felony; conspiracy to commit breaking and entering; and wanton destruction of property.
- Andy Huynh, 29, of Union City, Calif., is charged with trafficking in marijuana over 100 pounds; conspiracy to traffic marijuana over 100 pounds; and conspiracy to commit money laundering.
- Herschel Senor, 35, of Medford, is charged with possession with intent to distribute a Class B drug and a drug violation in a school zone.
- James Randall, 23, of Malden was charged with conspiracy to distribute a Class B drug (cocaine); conspiracy to distribute marijuana; and solicitation to commit a felony.
- Kendrick Leon, 21, of Malden, is charged with conspiracy to traffic marijuana over 100 pounds.
Jarret Bencks can be reached at bencks.globe@gmail.com. Follow him on twitter @JarretBencks.

