THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Malden's little Carmello released from hospital

Posted by Matt Byrne  July 28, 2011 02:00 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

carmelo.jpgCarmello Sears, the 8-week-old infant injured when he was allegedly thrown to the ground by his father during an argument with his mother on a Malden sidewalk last week, has been released from the hospital, his grandmother said today.

In a brief interview, Charlene Nickerson said the baby is out of the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital, but declined to say if he was at the family's Cross Street home or elsewhere.

"He's healing," Nickerson said.

Word of his release comes on the same day that the man accused of throwing the baby 4 feet through the air was held without bail following a dangerous hearing in Malden District Court.

Carlos K. Edwards, 34, of Melrose, was ordered held by District Court Judge Lee Johnson. Edwards turned himself in after the July 20 incident, and pleaded not guilty to charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and assault and battery on a child causing serious bodily injury. He is due back in court Aug. 18 for a probable cause hearing, according to court records.

When Carmello was admitted to Mass General in critical condition, he had suffered a double skull fracture, a broken leg, and a blood clot in his brain, Nickerson said previously.

But his health quickly improved, the family said. One day and a blood tranfusion later, doctors began removing Carmello from breathing and feeding tubes and other forms of life-support, Nickerson said previously.

He now takes a bottle and is beginning to return to his old self, she said, although cautioned that long-term care is still a concern.


E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article