THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Malden man accused of strangling girlfriend indicted

Posted by Matt Byrne  October 4, 2012 06:20 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Malden_Mosley_Murder.jpg

Josh Reynolds for The Boston Globe

William Bryant Mosley, 45, at his arraignment in Malden District Court Aug. 10.

William Bryant Moseley, the 45-year-old man accused of strangling his girlfriend in Malden Aug. 10, was ordered held without bail Thursday at his arraignment in Middlesex Superior Court, the district attorney's office said.

Moseley allegedly called 911 about 5:15 a.m. to report a death at his 33 Francis St. home, according to the office of District Attorney Gerard T. Leone Jr. While on the phone, police say that Moseley admitted to strangling Cecelia Yakubu, 58, and that when police arrived Moseley was waiting for them, according to Leone's office.

Police found the body of Yakubu, 58, inside the home before 6 a.m., the Globe reported.

Mosley was previously convicted of shooting his ex-wife in the face in 1996 when the couple lived in Worcester. The woman recovered, testified at his trial, and divorced him. He was sentenced to 10 to 12 years and was released from state prison in 2007, the Globe reported in August.

"Strangulation is an extremely personalized, violent, and horrific act of power and control often exhibited by abusers of domestic violence," Leone said in a statement last month when Moseley was indicted.

"We will continue to work with our community partners to raise awareness around the issue of strangulation, as we know that strangulation is a high-risk indicator for lethality."

Matt Byrne can be reached at mbyrne.globe@gmail.com.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article