(Image courtesy DND)
The building on Hazleton Street in Mattapan that once housed the neighborhood’s library and has sat lightly used since it was closed in 2009, could be reborn as a Boys and Girls Club as soon as September 2014.
A public meeting has been set for next week to discuss the possible reuse of the site at 10 Hazleton St., which first opened as a library in 1931.
The 13,700-square-foot parcel, the 7,800-square-foot structure resides on, was assessed in 2013 for close to $1.7-million, according to the city’s Assessing Department.
In late-2012 the city’s Department of Neighborhood Development, which owns the property, began the community process to dispose of the land and the structure.
Through several community meetings a Request for Proposal was developed by DND. Bidding for the parcel began in April and closed June 3, with the Boys and Girls Club of Boston submitting the only bid for the property, according to DND.
Preliminary plans expected to be presented at next week’s meeting call for the conversion of the center into a space for teens with a focus on leadership, the performing arts, academics, and healthy lifestyles, according to the Boys and Girls Club of Boston.
Although the club has not been designated the developer of the property, if approved by the community and DND, average daily attendance at the site could be between 100-125 youth, according to the club.
At two community meetings, one in December 2012 and in February 2013, residents called for a low-impact use for the site in addition to the preservation of the building. Representatives for DND in the past have also said they are committed to selecting a developer that will preserve the building.
A public meeting for residents to find out more about the property and the Boys and Girls Club’s plans has been set for August 1 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Mattapan Branch Library at 1350 Blue Hill Ave.