THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Tufts students calling new dorm sex rule 'unenforceable'

Posted by Travis Andersen  September 29, 2009 02:45 PM

Responding to complaints from some students, Tufts University wants to bar sexual activity in the presence of another roommate in its dorms.

But some students say it's unenforceable.

The policy - which took effect this semester - reads, "You may not engage in sexual activity while your roommate is present in the room. Any sexual activity within your assigned room should not ever deprive your roommate(s) of privacy, study, or sleep time."

Senior political science major Rick Zeckendorff scoffed at the provision.

"It sounded pretty ridiculous to me the first time that I heard about it," he said. "Because it's unenforceable. People in those situations aren't thinking in terms of the law or school regulations."

But the Office of Residential Life was thinking about the well-being of all students when it adopted the rule, according to university spokeswoman Kim Thurler. She said the office had received about 12 sex-related complaints in the last two years from students.

"It really all comes down to respect and consideration between roommates," she said, adding that to her knowledge, no students have reported infractions so far.

Rebecca Wang, a sophomore majoring in biomedical engineering, felt the rule change was "reasonable" to promote a cordial living arrangement, while conceding that, "it might be unenforceable."

Sean Siebert, a sophomore with the same major, remembered signing a similar contract last year in his residence hall. But he believes the matter is best left to students.

"I think it's more of a personal decision between roommates," he said.

1. A rule about this? Not more than half a decade ago, there was a term used for people who had to leave their room because the other person was having a little fun: "Sexiled."

I can't imagine that times are 'a changin' so fast that students are now simply having sex while their roommate tries to study. But who knows, perhaps this is how my grandparents always felt.

Posted by D September 29, 09 03:59 PM
  1. Wow. This is a personal decision between roommates? What kind of weirdos WANT to have sex with another person 5 feet away? It may not be enforceable at the moment, but it gives a roommate a venue to file a complaint. I think it's an AWESOME rule.

Good Lord......sex with your roommate 5 feet away? Wow......

Posted by Smittybelle September 29, 09 04:04 PM
  1. Well it's about time. That should be the rule for all the colleges.
    If they want sex they should rent a motel room somewhere. College dorms is not the place... God don't these students having any modesty.

Posted by charlie September 29, 09 04:04 PM
  1. So this means you can't have sex with your roommate right? Isn't that discriminating against gays? How politically incorrect.

Posted by Homer September 29, 09 04:54 PM
  1. Apparently administrators at this university have too much time on their hands.

Posted by sceesic September 29, 09 04:54 PM
  1. Higher Education at work. Liberalism at its best.

Posted by cabianni September 29, 09 04:56 PM
  1. How is this rule unenforceable? As long as they set a punishment and carry through with it, this is no less enforceable than any other rule. Pretty much everyone these day has a camera with them all the time (pretty much ever cell phone nowadays has a camera built in) so it is a simple matter of snapping a pic and there's the proof. You would think people wouldn't WANT to have sex with their roommate 10 feet away, or would at least have enough consideration NOT to... But if people are actually doing this, a rule is long overdue, and their should be STRICT enforcement of it.

Posted by Tom September 29, 09 04:57 PM
  1. Wow! Someone actually needed to come up with a rule about this? What about the rule of modesty or just plain old human decency? And if those fail, why can't the roommate just dump a pitcher of cold water on the offending couple?

Posted by Ashley September 29, 09 04:57 PM
  1. Modesty? Most girls at college are "loose" and don't care.

Posted by Sam September 29, 09 04:58 PM
  1. this is a moot point... these students aren't married, and should therefore not be having sex anyways.

BIBLE!

JESUS!

PALIN!

Posted by bob from work September 29, 09 04:59 PM
  1. Or if you don't like it, just open the door and yell 'Come check out the show...' Let the roommates, who are presumably adults work it out.

Posted by Joe September 29, 09 05:01 PM
  1. I had a friend in college who's roommate had sex with her boyfriend multiple times while my friend was in the room. This was over 10 years ago. Creepy huh?

Posted by Jazzy September 29, 09 05:01 PM
  1. The acts of civil disobedience to protest this new rule ought to be interesting. Rise up in protest Tuftonia!

Posted by Mr. Jumbo September 29, 09 05:01 PM
  1. It's a good idea I think, though hard to enforce. My brother years ago had this happen to him. He woke up to his roommate having sex in the bunk bed below him. Yep, I said a bunk bed. I myself was exiled from my room at various times when my roommate wanted what she called private time with her boyfriend, but that is nothing compared to what happened to my brother.

Posted by Lee September 29, 09 05:01 PM
  1. Well, times have not changed, we had a cohabitation rule in the 80's in college, and we didn't think it was a big deal....no one went crazy saying that their rights were being violated. C'mon....that is just gross...it's common courtesy to your roommate. Get a motel room or an apartment together. What right does the couple have infringing on the student that lives there?....that is paying for that room?....if that is the case then maybe the inconsiderate boyfriend or girlfriend should pay the roommate....3 way split...no pun intended. What is wrong with these students today?....amazing, don't you have a value system that says you don't have sex with your roommate 2 feet away? So now the roommate that doesn't want this is the bad guy right? School is for learning, control your hormones and get back to the real reason you came to college. I partied as much as the next person, but there are just some things that are meant to be private.

Posted by car September 29, 09 05:04 PM
  1. Enforcing a rule of no sex in the dorms is just as effective as the rule that says no underage drinking in the dorms...

Posted by Kathleen September 29, 09 05:04 PM
  1. Maybe if students got the picture that college is for serioius studying and not excessive drinking, a sports camp, or the pursuit of sexual escapades then everyone, including this nation, would be better off.

Posted by cdkeli September 29, 09 05:08 PM
  1. Sex in dorm rooms should be off limits anyway, and was, until the radical sixties bug infested left wing (** what shall i call them so as not to have my comment deleted? **) came along and pushed for mixed sex dorms... Try to find this stuff going on over in Beijing University or any of the universities churning out top notch engineers over in India. Dorm rooms were once a place to sleep and study... They still are, in foreign lands... This latest example of left wing dung is just another manifestation of the American culuture (and American exceptionalism) dive-bombing straight into the ground... They laugh at us in Beijing and Bangalore now... I've seen them.. I've been over there.

Posted by iamjohngalt September 29, 09 05:12 PM
  1. Seriously?!?! They have to make a rule about that?! Who wants to have sex with someone in the room? Thats awful!

Posted by Bridget September 29, 09 05:16 PM
  1. Charlie -- "College dorms is not the place"?? Apparently tou never attended college (or grade school) . . .

Posted by Anon September 29, 09 05:17 PM
  1. Totally unenforceable. It sounds like just a rule put in place to possibly enforce the issue at a later juncture. Similar to the "no distractions while driving" law in new hampshire. No one ever gets pulled over for it, but it's a blanket law to cover any potential issue at some point.

And Smittybelle, the students aren't trying to have sex while their roommates are around, but sometimes it's just gotta happen. I've been on either side of the situation and i don't need to pay a psychiatrist to get through the day. Loosen up! (pun intended).

Posted by LukeC September 29, 09 05:19 PM
  1. "God don't these students having any modesty."

Maybe it would be good to get an opinion from someone who actually went to college.

Posted by F September 29, 09 05:19 PM
  1. I don't think students can usually afford a hotel. Think of it this way, this is where they live for 4 years, for all intents in purposes it's their apartment. While I think the rule is fair it would be nice if students could agree on "private" time so that they would to be out of the room at certain times. There are plenty of places to hang out in college be it the common areas, library, etc. to give each other a little space. As for Smittybelle, it takes all kinds, some people like having sex in front of other people, don't be such a prude!

Posted by Mjolnier September 29, 09 05:20 PM
  1. "It really all comes down to respect and consideration between roommates."

This should be obvious and not need a rule to enforce it. Not that it can be enforced anyway. You can bet that this will lead to *more* breakings of this rule. Haven't they heard that students like to defy authority?

Posted by Drew September 29, 09 05:23 PM
  1. In my opinion, this rule is EXTREMELY Puritanical and completely out-of-touch with the values of the modern day college generation. Sure, it does give roommates an avenue to complain if they are sexiled very often, but at the same time it is practically imposing ABSTINENCE in the college dorm room. This is an issue that two roommates should work out with each other, especially once one of them has a steady significant other. Yet, at the same time, I could see it being ABUSED by a peeping tom, an "enemy" down the hall, or even an ex who has NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to control what goes on in another college dorm room.

Posted by The REAL Question September 29, 09 05:27 PM
  1. here is novel idea..how about people try talking to each other. If you do not want your roomate getting laid while your there..maybe try speaking to them directly and stating it bugs you. Do you really need to complain to the college so they get involved.

Posted by wreckingcrew September 29, 09 05:35 PM
  1. As a graduate of Tufts, I can't say this is my proudest moment as an alumna. The sad part of this rule is that it is unenforceable and it provides no repercussions for defying it. This rule will not start conversations; it will start arguments, recriminations, and the Housing Office having to deal with roommate re-shuffling mid-year. I can just see the Editorial Pages of The Daily now...

When I was a student you could often find students who were "sexiled" and I remember waking up on numerous occasions to find one member of my freshman triple with a rotating cast of overnight guests. There were always a few who felt the need/had the immaturity to broadcast their activities yet I don't remember having to get the Housing Office involved. Adminstration did not meddle in these kinds of matters; students were expected to act like adults and sort problems out among themselves. Res Life would never respond to student complaints like this; they only reacted when parents got involved or some sort of truly illegal act (i.e, drugs, drinking) were involved. And 12 complaints would be nothing...the undergraduate population is close to 5,000.

90% of the problem has to do with the students themselves. They apparently lack the maturity to sort through their own issues without resorting to some kind of "adult" intervention. Roommates should set rules early about overnight guests and personal space; if you want to be more spontaneous find another venue or request a single in the lottery.

Posted by pinklady September 29, 09 05:36 PM
  1. I'm a liberal, but this rule just makes common sense. Good for Tufts!

Posted by Billybeantown September 29, 09 05:39 PM
  1. What if the activity is WITH the roommate? There are same-sex couples at Tufts sharing a dorm you you know.

Posted by Cheryl B September 29, 09 05:41 PM
  1. I don't think this is anything new. I graduated college in 1991 and I remember this happening fairly frequently. It’s not so much that you want to have sex with someone else in the room but that you are 18, drunk, horny, someone is in your bed and going out and finding a hotel isn’t really even considered. It’s obviously unacceptable but lots of things done by college students fit that description.

Posted by Ted September 29, 09 05:42 PM
  1. I wouldn't want my roomate having sex while I was in the room, especially since I abstain. This would ESPECIALLY be true if my roomate was gay.

Posted by CecilTheCelebate September 29, 09 05:43 PM
  1. It may not be enforceable but with all the electronic devices out there who knows what wiil show up on utube.

Posted by carol September 29, 09 05:44 PM
  1. morals? college students? Nope! I left school fie years ago and remember getting sexiled many a time. I also did some sexiling of my own though :) Maybe it was the environment, but even then there were kids who would do it while their roommates in the room. I always thought it was gross and wondered why any girl would be willing to do that.

Posted by kchm80 September 29, 09 05:45 PM
  1. i can't believe that they are making a rule about this. The term "sexiled" still exists.
    the people complaining about this are the ones that are obviously not getting any. most people at college don;t care about this kind of stuff... if you dont want to hear it leave or just tell your roomate to stop.... it's not that big of a deal.

Posted by HAHAHA September 29, 09 05:50 PM
  1. This whole rule is ridiculous! if you ask me. What are they going to ban next? seriously most of the time people are going to have sex whether their roomate is there or not. Most of the time lets hope not. This decision should be made between both roomates ONLY It is not for the school to decide. That is what college is all about moving away from Mommy and Daddy and finding your own independence. Saying that every school should be like this is purely unrealistic because no one is going to follow it. I am very open minded. Thoughout my college career I lived on campus for two years and lived off for another two. I just graduated this past May and trust me I am no stranger to my past roomates having sex while I am right next door, but you know what it is all about living away. However, if you and your roomate have respect for one another you should be able to talk things out and realize that you are both adults and you can compromise what to do when living together.

Posted by Anonymous September 29, 09 05:55 PM
  1. Does anyone agree that consensual sex between two 18+ students while roomates are present is appropriate or socially acceptable? Unfortunately this needs to be spelled out to too many people. I thought you needed a high level of intelligence to get into tufts. I can see the facebook entry: "Enjoy having sex in public". What happened to hanging a tie on the doorknob?

Posted by WC79 September 29, 09 06:13 PM
  1. It is probably easier now then back in the day. At least now you can plug in your earbuds and have some quiet. Back in the day, you had to listen or leave (assuming you weren't a participant.....).

Posted by Bubbles September 29, 09 06:17 PM
  1. unenforceable? really? why? break the rule, go find your own off campus housing. seems rather simple to enforce to me.

and what kind of rational human being (hormone charged college students included) would say having a rule like this is a bad thing. really.

Posted by david427 September 29, 09 06:18 PM
  1. Can't Tufts allocate a few special rooms for this? Maybe they could charge $10 an hour. Or maybe they can just make the rooms smaller and give everyone a private one. Some people get very upset if you study in front of them. / Or are there any entrepreneurs reading? At $10 an hour (the price of large pizza and beer), you could make a decent profit. Students seem to have lots of money to spend on stuff, even though college is getting so expensive.

Posted by Michael September 29, 09 06:22 PM
  1. Wish the provision had been in place when I went to Bentley ... I had to request an RA to toss my roommate's date out of my room. She wasn't happy and suggested I find somewhere else to sleep but with a rule like this she'd have no choice. I paid for my own education and it always infuriated me that someone would think I should have to find some place else to sleep when I'd already paid for a bed!

Ironically enough ... both "partners" had actually passed out and my roommate's date (who was in one of my classes) was unaware of where he had even landed that night or with whom.

My point ... there was no "personal decision between roommates." And since when do drunk, horny people make rational personal decisions?

Posted by Doris September 29, 09 06:25 PM
  1. Note that it doesn't prohibit sexual activity in the residences, period. Of course that would be unreasonable.
    But it gives those of us who had unreasonable roommates some leverage. I never had this problem, but I once had a roommate that never wore clothes. I really didn't mind, but having people over was different. He refused to wear any clothes, and the school really couldn't do anything because it was neither 'disruptive of sleep or study'.

Posted by TK September 29, 09 06:27 PM
  1. college kids having sex is nothing new. it should be up to the roommates to work their issues out. if one roommate is going to engage in sexual activity the other should most likely leave provided its not at a ridiculous hour or during studying.

Posted by mostofyouaremorons September 29, 09 06:39 PM
  1. Honestly people, Most of the people responding here seem like prudes to me. The youth of today is into things bit more wild than in your day. Girl on gril is now fine and actually encouraged in lots of circles...check out youtube once in a while. Openess and public displays are more the norm. Just because you followed things exactly as your sex-ed teacher said and always did it missionary style after you were married doesn't mean you can knock today's ways. Open your minds, embrace the change and watch your neighbors through their window....you may like it. In fact, I betcha you already do watch and enjoy it. And to all you in college...do it with your roommate there...but please, next time, ask them if they want to join in. It's only being nice.

Posted by Timesarechanging September 29, 09 06:41 PM
  1. too many people here are thinking like *mature* adults. No, I wouldn't want to have sex while someone else is across the room. But I am not 19.

But here's a thought. Jill is uncomfortable talking to her roommate, Sue, that she's not happy with Sue having sex in the room. So Jill reports it to the administration. Who goes and talks to Sue. Sue's going to have an awfully tough time figuring out who reported her, isn't she. And *that* won't make for any discomfort between roommates, now will it.

As Bill Cosby once said, "There's a time and a place for everything, and it's called college."

Posted by fnord September 29, 09 06:54 PM
  1. This has nothing to do with Sarah Palin. It has to do with mutual respect and basic common courtesy. Get it on when and where you like but there's no substitute for a bit of self respect and courtesy.

Posted by XENOPHONIC September 29, 09 07:00 PM
  1. I'm sOrRY, I can't StOp laughiNG...!!!

Posted by vinnie September 29, 09 07:03 PM
  1. "Try to find this stuff going on over in Beijing University or any of the universities churning out top notch engineers over in India."

Yeah, there isn't much copulating going on in India and China. Just look at the low population for proof. (And blaming "liberals" for inconsiderate behavior is just as silly.)

Posted by Heyduke September 29, 09 07:08 PM
  1. iamjohngalt: "Sex in dorm rooms should be off limits anyway, and was, until the radical sixties bug infested left wing (** what shall i call them so as not to have my comment deleted? **) came along and pushed for mixed sex dorms"

1) John Galt and Ayn Rand would have been all for sex in dorm rooms. Try not to let yourself contradict your idols.
    2) Yes, sex should be outlawed in dorm rooms, because uniform abstinence is a reasonable and laudable goal for a few thousand 18-22 year olds living in close proximity.
    3) If there's not time for both sex and studying (so you can get a job that doesn't exist?!), which one would YOU rather give up?

Posted by misosopher September 29, 09 07:14 PM
  1. How about blindfolds and earplugs .No peeking !

Posted by pia3 September 29, 09 07:15 PM
  1. This is so stupid, our country is going to h*ll in a hand basket and the most important issue in college today is when, where and how these kids can have sex!!!

sickening

Posted by southnpatsfan September 29, 09 07:16 PM
  1. I would think there are legal issues here. If someone pays for a room and is deprived of its use unilaterally, there are real and tangible monetary damages that could be claimed. If it were I and I couldn't "work it out" with an unreasobale roomate, I would get a lawyer and sue his butt and probably sue the university too. It's simple. I pay for my equal right to enjoy the use of the room. I should be able to sleep there every night of the adademic year without being subjected to behavior that I find offensive. I think being unwillingly subjected to something as patently objectionable as having to witness other people having sex in a room for which I paid is something that would easily be affirmed as an injury in a court of law. What kind of creeps want to have sexual relations in front of other people? Porn stars and Tufts students who think this rule is stuipd, I guess.

Posted by 14 the claw September 29, 09 07:20 PM
  1. just preparing students for all the adultery in corporate america

Posted by creeps September 29, 09 07:22 PM
  1. Makes me pine for my college days. Drink a case of beer, vomit, have sex with other people watching, drink some more beer, pass out.......do it all again the next day. good times. good times......Now i'm married. What's sex?

Posted by CJ September 29, 09 07:24 PM
  1. Have we learned nothing from the tragic example of Amanda Knox?

Posted by Monique VonDeSoaker September 29, 09 07:24 PM
  1. Seems the blogger is only posting one sided views to the column. Talk about censorship.

I state my point again - sex in dorms is a fact of life - straight and gay.

It certainly was in the 70s, and 80s, and I know it was in the 90s. I think most of the people responding are upset that their youth is behind them. I know I miss mine but let's not take it out on the young.

And someone said prudes - I agree.

Posted by mike September 29, 09 07:33 PM
  1. Yeah, like there's sex going on at Tufts....

Posted by chuckx September 29, 09 07:40 PM
  1. Hey Charlie, you are ridiculous! OMG! College is not the place for sex!?! Pretty naive on your part. Pretty obvious you didn't get any yourself in college too.

Posted by Anonymous September 29, 09 07:48 PM
  1. What more can you say about the trash that this generation has become when you need rules like this, that should be common sense amongst respectful and civilized people.

Posted by Alex September 29, 09 07:52 PM
  1. Those of you who think the rule bans all sex in the dorm rooms are missing the point. The rule only bans sex while the roommate is present. It says nothing about not having sex at all or "sexiling," which, presumably is still permissible. All this rule says is that you can't have sex IN FRONT OF your roommate. I find it appalling they'd even need a rule about this.

Posted by Ashley September 29, 09 08:17 PM
  1. Sigh....does anyone READ these things?

They are not prohibiting sex in the dorm rooms, or the bathrooms, or their cars in the parking lot. They can have all the sex they want in college.

They just can't have sex in a ROOM with their ROOMMATE in the SAME ROOM if the ROOMMATE doesn't LIKE IT!!

If the 2 roommates are having sex TOGETHER, well, then, there is no one to complain.

And Luke C. Hmm....what do you mean, sometimes it's gotta happen? It can't be planned out for 3 seconds? Common decency isn't a factor?

Posted by smittybelle September 29, 09 08:19 PM
  1. This rule is necessary. Regardless of how silly it sounds, there are TONS of students in college who prefer the party lifestyle to the academic lifestyle.

Any institution of higher learning worth its salt needs to clarify to these "party" students that their school is a place of learning first and fun second. While sexiling is fine when planned in advance (when the roommate's at work, class, or can pack up books and go study for an hour) it's downright rude to do it to someone who may be trying to sleep, to write a paper, or study. The mission of a college is to educate and protect those students who are paying dearly for an education, not a four-year, all-inclusive resort package.

Posted by AP September 29, 09 08:48 PM
  1. Ashley, you're right. I think campus cops should march them outside and make them stand under a floodlight for 30 minutes. That would learn 'em.

Posted by Giles Farnaby September 29, 09 08:49 PM
  1. I consider my self pretty bold in this department, and am not too far removed from college, and I guess I could maybe fathom drunkenly having this situation occur, in an extreme circumstance and without the benefit of better judgement, but seriously is this really happen so often that there needs to be a rule... I kinda figured it goes without saying unless you have an extremely close relationship with your roommate isn't possible to just ask him/her to leave or wait when they're not around.

Posted by c September 29, 09 08:56 PM
  1. There should be no sex before Marrage

Posted by JD Blue September 29, 09 08:57 PM
  1. why is this a big deal. This happened all the time when I was in college, and that was 10 years ago. There were times he would bring home a girl, and there were times I would bring home a random girl. Not a big deal, the other just normally fell asleep ... or passed out. Just about everyone I know has had sex at least once while their roommate was there, and we all had bunk beds as well. No one thought anthing of it.

Oh, and I went to a "nice" Catholic College that really wasn't a bastion of liberlism

Posted by davdev September 29, 09 09:32 PM
  1. Really? You had sex with *girls* at a nice Catholic college?

Posted by Really? September 29, 09 09:58 PM
  1. When I was a sophomore in South Hall, I used to bring girls back all the time with my roommate there...In fact, I can honestly say that I had sex almost everywhere in Tufts...Carmichael, South, Wren, ATO, Sophia Gordon, on my friend's bedroom door, the 7th (or was it 8th?) floor of the Fletcher building, before NQR, after NQR...Friends of mine would bring girls back and have sex in our kitchen...its just not a big deal...stop being little whiney prudes and have fun...Tufts is a great place

Posted by TheBearsAreWhoWeThoughtTheyWere September 29, 09 10:01 PM
  1. Hah! This article made me laugh out loud. I totally had the most unconsiderate roomate ever for a semester, and she constantly brought her boyfriend back to the dorm room late at night. I used to throw stuffed animals at them to get them to lay off. I'm not a prude, but it was tacky, tasteless and cheap...... That being said, the Tufts regulation is a nice gesture, but entirely unenforceable. Good luck kids!

Posted by umass90 September 29, 09 11:50 PM
  1. This nutty rule is written by administrators who as students 35 yrs ago figured out what a rubber band on the doorknob of the room meant. If the roommate was a Dorothy who didn't realize they weren't in Kansas anymore , they'd go to the housing office and get set up with "like" folks. Now there's gotta be a written reg...not helping these kids to figure out the "game of life."

Posted by cantstandya September 30, 09 12:23 AM
  1. C'mon folks this has nothing to do with students and everything to do with getting publicity for Tufts and increasing its street cred among high school seniors. More applications for Tufts!

Posted by Blatant Propaganda September 30, 09 12:40 AM
  1. Take it upon yourself to be socially responsible, or else we will become like Canada.

Posted by mario greck September 30, 09 01:09 AM
  1. When you MAKE LOVE, it is beautiful between two people behind closed doors. When you have SEX in front of anyone and everyone, you are an idiot, a harlot, a lowlife, and you obviously come from homes that are totally dysfunctional. When these idiots grow up someday, they are going to regret their actions.

Comment #68, with that much sex, I would definitely get myself checked out for any and all STD's, especially AIDS. There is NO such thing as 100% protection. Thank God you are not my son, I would slug you. I cannot imagine how much penicillin you go through a year. YECK.

Posted by USAisARMYstrong September 30, 09 01:36 AM
  1. This is sad. Where is the decency we expect? For young peoples own protection, I would think they would be smart enough, since they are in college, to abstain froom having sex so freely that rules like this have to be made. This behavior is disgusting.

Posted by joyce lee September 30, 09 01:41 AM
  1. there is so much hate for the college student tonight.

Posted by anon September 30, 09 02:10 AM
  1. they should use the rule my friends have, if you have sex while others are present, expect pictures and video to be taken

Posted by anon September 30, 09 10:12 AM
  1. When I was in college, I was woken up several times by my roommate having sex with her boyfriend a mere 8 feet away from me. This was in the mid-90's, so people having zero consideration for their roommate is not a new phenomenon. Despite my complaints, it kept happening, but fortunately I was able to move to a different room with a much more considerate roommate.

Unfortunately you can't force people to be respectful and considerate, no matter how many rules you create.

Posted by DJ September 30, 09 11:44 AM
  1. We would have a red bandanna on the door to let our roomies know we were with company. Alternatively we would swap with the guy who had the single room for the night. But a rule about this? Come on, this isn't communist China 60 years ago.

Posted by Old skool October 2, 09 02:23 PM
  1. I think it's about the administrators having some ammunition to kick kids out of college housing who make the dorm room unusable for actual studying and sleeping, not normal student behavior. Most roommates will work things out, but a small percentage will not. I remember one student who insisted that I give her a private room because she didn't know how to tell her roommate to stop using her toothbrush. Kids at that age don't have experience and self assurance, and sometimes don't have very good judgment. An important role college plays is teaching kids how to live with others. I imagine this was put into place to help administrators be able say enough is enough if they get someone who isn't able to change their behavior. That way the quiet kid isn't always the one who gets punished by having to put up with unacceptable behavior. I don't know if this rule will help - but perhaps it will.

Posted by Sunrise October 23, 09 08:48 AM