THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Melrose man charged with child rape

Posted by Alix Roy  March 29, 2010 02:09 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

A Melrose man was arraigned on forcible rape charges last Thursday in Malden District Court after allegedly sexually abusing two young girls, one of whom reported the incidents to police, Middlesex District Attorney Gerry Leone announced.

Francis Watt, 68, a truck driver from Melrose, faces two counts of rape of a child with force, three counts of indecent assault and battery on a child under the age of 14, and child enticement. Malden District Court Judge Lee Johnson ordered Watt held on $15,000 cash bail with the condition that he remain confined to his home with GPS monitoring with the exception of work, and that he have no contact with the alleged victims, potential witnesses, or children under the age of 16.

Police arrested Watt last week after one of his alleged victims reported the incidents and submitted a surveillance tape showing encounters between Watt and a second victim, who was 12 at the time and has special needs. When interviewed by police, Watt admitted to abusing the second victim, the district attorney's office stated.
 
“Because of the brave actions of one of the victims in coming forward to police, the defendant’s sexual abuse against children was realized,” Leone wrote in a press release.

Melrose Police Chief Michael Lyle said his department would cooperate fully with the Middlesex District Attorney's office during the investigation, which is ongoing.

"My heart goes out to the victims and their families,” he said.

Middlesex District Attorney spokeswoman Cara O'Brien and Melrose Police Lieutenant Mark Decroteau declined to comment further on the details of the case. Court files have been impounded. A probable cause hearing has been scheduled for April 13 at Malden District Court.

Members of the public with pertinent information are asked to call the Melrose Police at 781- 979-4455 or the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office Child Abuse Unit at 781-897-8400.

The Middlesex District Attorney's office also is handling the trial of former Melrose YMCA employee James Conner,  who is accused of sexually assaulting two children who attended programs under his supervision.

Conner, 51, who has been confined to his North Reading home since his arrest last February.His trial was scheduled to begin April 5, but now a final pre-trial conference will be held on April 14. His trial has been rescheduled to begin June 7.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article