THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Fire chief: Melrose high gas scare handled with 'abundance of caution'

Posted by Jarret Bencks  November 19, 2012 10:30 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Students at Melrose High School were evacuated from the building Nov. 5 due a gas odor in the building, a result of a loose utility line connection on the building's roof, according to Fire Chief Christopher Leary.

The building was safe for re-entry later in the day, but students were released from school in "an abundance of caution," Leary said in a statement.

Melrose High School students were relocated to the city's middle school about 8:20 a.m. after the odor of gas was noticed in the building, Leary said.

The Fire Department checked the building with utility provider National Grid and found no traces of gas, Leary said. They then went to the roof where they found the loose connection and repaired it, he said.

Students were dismissed for the day, but were allowed to re-enter the building, which was safe since no gas was detected inside and the lines were turned off, Leary said.

"At no time were students or staff members in any danger when allowed to re-enter the building," he said.

Jarret Bencks can be reached at bencks.globe@gmail.com. Follow him on twitter @JarretBencks.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article