Flames jetted from the building as firefighters scaled a ladder.
Milton firefighters battled a three-alarm fire today near East Milton Square that neighbors said appeared to have been stoked by gusty winds.
There were no confirmed reports of injuries or that firefighters had to rescue anyone from the burning house in the 500 block of Adams Street, a short distance from the square as well as the town line with Quincy.
Cathy Lefas, the manager of Stella’s restaurant at 560 Adams St., said that from her vantage point it appeared the fire began on the second floor of what town assessing records describe as a single-family home originally built in 1860.
“It looked like it started on the second floor in the back of the house and climbed right through pretty fast,” Lefas said this afternoon in a telephone interview. “The wind is not helping; the house was completely up in flames. The flames were ferocious earlier.”
She added that public safety officials had closed Adams Street, which is now choked with about 10 fire engines from Milton and neighboring communities, including Boston.
“Right now, everyone is pushed back,” she said. “Chaos.”
Yan Lu, who was at work at the nearby Belle Visage beauty salon at 564 Adams St., said heavy black smoke was pouring out of the building even as firefighters were pouring water onto it.
“I still see the smoke coming out of the house,’’ she said in a telephone interview. “Hopefully, they could get everyone out. It is really dark smoke, very strong smoke.”
Lu said she first saw smoke swirling in the neighborhood around 11:30 a.m.
Video footage taken by the WHDH-TV helicopter showed firefighters pouring water on the building.