THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Milton celebrates new, federally funded accessible housing

Posted by Dave Eisenstadter  April 5, 2013 05:53 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Milton HUD Ribbon Cutting 040413

The South Shore HOME Consortium celebrated the completion of five fully accessible housing units in a ceremony in Milton Thursday.

WORK Inc., a Dorchester-based company that allows individuals with disabilities to live and work in their communities, will provide support for the five people who will live in the facility on Wolcott Road.

“I’m hoping we can do more projects like this,” said WORK Inc.'s CEO, James Cassetta, who added he had been working to serve disabled individuals for 35 years.

The project was completed through a combination of federal and state programs, including the federal HOME Program, designed to create affordable housing for low-income households. It was built in four months, Cassetta said.

US Representative Michael E. Capuano, whose district includes Milton, said the debate continues to keep such federal programs running.

“I want to apologize on behalf of the federal government,” Capuano said, adding that some of his colleagues were trying to cut the program that funded the building. “We spent the last two years defending the HOME Program.”

Capuano said there would be “significant cuts” to the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, which oversees the HOME Program, related to the broad federal spending cuts known as “sequestration.”

Since 1992, the HOME Program has provided more than $13.5 million to the South Shore HOME Consortium, which consists of Braintree, Holbrook, Milton, Quincy, and Weymouth.

Following remarks by federal, state, and local officials, Cassetta cut the ribbon, officially opening the building for use.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article