An 80-year-old woman was taken to MetroWest Medical Center and treated for smoke inhalation this morning after a fire ripped through her home at 109 Oak Street in Natick, according to fire officials.
Fire Chief James Sheridan said the woman was on the second floor when she was alerted by a smoke alarm. Sheridan said she walked out of the house and was being cared for by neighbors when firefighters arrived.
"I think she's going to be just fine,'' said Sheridan. He said the woman, whom he did not identify, was taken to the medical center's Framingham Union campus. A hospital spokesman could not be immediately reached.
Sheridan said the blaze started in an electrical outlet on the first floor and then spread to the second floor. He said the two-story home is badly damaged and uninhabitable.
The chief said the call came in at 9:15 a.m. from an offduty Wayland firefighter and the first of four fire engine companies arrived on the scene at 9:20. Twenty-two firefighters, including some from Wayland, battled the two-alarm blaze which was under control at 10:05.