THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Natick selectmen thank resident for saving neighbor from fire

Posted by Jaclyn Reiss  November 14, 2012 09:00 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Natick selectmen recognized local resident Laura Majkut at Tuesday's scheduled board meeting for pulling her upstairs teenaged neighbor from a fire last week.

Makjut, a Franklin Street resident, said she knew there was trouble upstairs when she heard her neighbor shouting last Thursday night. Upon arriving upstairs, Makjut said she saw smoke billowing out from the cracks in the door. She tried opening the door, but the knob was stuck, so she shouldered her way into the apartment.

"I knew someone was in there and desperate - I could hear her," Makjut said. "When the door opened, it was black inside, ceiling to floor. I reached in and grabbed for her, and ended up with her foot, which is what I pulled her out by."

Makjut said her teenaged neighbor was hysterical and coughing, but the first thing Makjut said she did was to check to make sure her brother was not stuck inside, since she knew the family.

Makjut said she knew the mother who lived there was not home because her car was not parked outside.

"They've lived there for about six months," Makjut said.

Makjut and the girl tumbled down the stairs to Makjut's apartment, where she called 911.

When asked what was going through her mind during the whole ordeal, Makjut laughed.

"Absolutely nothing," she said.

Natick Fire Chief James Sheridan told members at the meeting that the teenaged girl has made a full recovery after suffering from minor smoke inhalation issues.

--
Follow us on Twitter: @yourtownnatick, @jaclynreiss

Jaclyn Reiss can be reached at jaclyn.reiss@globe.com

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article