THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Plumber's torch blamed for Newton fire that displaced 8 residents

Posted by Deidre Fernandes  February 5, 2013 10:28 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

A fire Monday that destroyed a four-unit home on Charlesbank Road in Newton started when a plumber was installing a new shower valve, fire officials said.

The plumber was using a torch to solder parts together when something in the wall caught on fire, said Lieutenant Eric Fricke, with the Newton Fire Department.

The plumber tried to put out the fire and suffered minor burns to his hands, Fricke said.

A firefighter also suffered back injuries when he fell from the attic area as he tried to extinguish the fire, he said.

The eight residents who live in the building have been displaced and fire officials believe that the damage was so extensive that the building is a total loss, Fricke said.

The Red Cross has been in touch with the residents to help them, he said.

Deirdre Fernandes can be reached at deirdre.fernandes@globe.com.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article