THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Kitchen fire causes $150K damage to Norwood home, makes it unlivable

Posted by Sarah Favot  July 8, 2011 06:09 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

A kitchen fire in a Sturtevant Avenue home today caused $150,000 in damage and has made the house unlivable for the residents, according to a Norwood Fire Department spokesman.

George Morrice said a woman called to report that black smoke was coming out of the side of the house when she arrived home. The woman had left some food on the stove and left the house, said Morrice.

Westwood and Walpole Fire Departments responded to the scene to assist Norwood Fire Department, said Morrice. The fire was extinguished in 20 minutes and because no one was home when the fire began, there were no injuries, said Morrice.

Morrice said there was extensive smoke damage to the home with most of the damage done in the kitchen.

Captain George Geary estimated the total damage to the home to be $150,000, said Morrice.

The residents were given passes from the Fire Department to stay at the Residence Inn for free.

Sarah Favot can be reached at sarah.yourtown@gmail.com.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article