THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Leaking propane tank caused explosion in Norwood home

Posted by Natalie Feulner  May 3, 2012 02:55 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Norwood firefighters responded to an explosion at a home on Lane Drive Wednesday evening, the Fire Department reported Thursday. No injuries were reported, and the explosion did not cause a fire.

Around 5:19 p.m., a neighbor called the Fire Department after hearing an explosion from the single-family raised ranch-style home, department spokesman George Morrice said. When firefighters arrived, one man and three women -- occupants of the home -- were walking around the yard.

Morrice said firefighters found a 20-pound propane cylinder that had been leaking near an indoor gas fireplace that was being used at the time. Fire Captain Mark Boyland reported that he believed the fireplace ignited the leaking propane, causing the explosion, Morrice said.

The explosion blew out several windows and a sliding glass door and part of a soffit. As of Thursday, the four residents were still not allowed in the home and fire officials were continuing their investigation.

Natalie Feulner can be reached at natalie.feulner@gmail.com.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article