THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Quincy's new Central Middle School on track with Planning Board approval

Posted by Jessica Bartlett  September 15, 2011 04:21 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Screen shot 2011-09-15 at 4.23.05 PM.png

Central Middle School in Quincy is on target to be completed by spring 2013 with the approval of landscaping plans at last night’s Planning Board meeting.

Planning Board members had asked the architects to reduce the landscaping by about 15 percent, a goal that they accomplished with last night’s revisions. From here, the project will undergo a status review from the Zoning Board of Appeals before a new building can start to get underway.

The $41.2 million school, which will receive an 80 percent reimbursement rate from the MSBA, will be very much in line with the model school it is being constructed from, officials said.

Although there are some slight modifications, overall it’s very much in keeping with the original design.

“[The school committee] is happy that’s the school we’re going to get,” Harrington said. “There are some modifications for site and style to the exterior that the school committee wanted to give it a look that would fit on Hancock street and the city of Quincy…so that’s what’s been approved.”

The mayor signed the bonds for the project last week, but before construction on the new school can begin, demolition must occur.

City officials confirmed Nasdi LLC as the bid recipient. Nasdi came in with a low bid of $1.585 million, and is additionally demolishing the Ross Garage extension for the Quincy Center Project.

According to Planning Director Dennis Harrington, demolition is planned to start on the existing properties - including the former St. Ann School, some land owned by Eastern Nazarene College, a private home, and a chiropractor’s office - as soon as possible.

Although permitting for demolition will take 30 days, Harrington said he expects demolition to begin no later than the first week of November.

“The only delay is the permit requirement, because everyone wants to be very safe,” Harrington said. “They check for even special waste, not just hazardous waste – it’s a lower category but requires a permit to remove it.”

From there, the contractor will have to obtain individual permits for street openings to reconfigure the sewer and water systems.

Yet overall, all the major permitting procedures have been finished.

“Those are all DPW permits and building department permits. There will probably be some health permits that are required, as there will be food in the building, but they are minor at this point,” Harrington said.

Demolition and site acquisition, approximately $9 million, is not reimbursable by the MSBA.

Overall, the project has experienced very few bumps in the road as the city and school officials barrel towards the much-awaited school.

“In my opining, this thing is moving forward as fast as a project can,” Harrington said. “The architect has build a number of these standardized schools, so they know what they are doing…the city of Quincy expects it to move quickly.”

City Hall confirmed that the project is on schedule.

"We expect the students to be moved in by fall 2013," Mayoral Spokesperson Christopher Walker said.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article