THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Tully's Café, Quincy Jade face suspension of liquor licenses

Posted by Jessica Bartlett  August 22, 2013 02:13 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Two Quincy restaurants will face liquor license suspensions after being charged with violations related to liquor and drugs.

At a Licensing Board hearing on Tuesday, the board levied punishments on Quincy Jade Restaurant and Tully’s Café, both located on Cottage Street.

The two restaurants were accused of substance violations in two incidents. Although the restaurants sit next door to one another, the incidents were not related, officials said.

“Both of the cases have been served, and both will get a written letter from me today. And under the general laws…[the bars] have five days if they want to appeal it,” said Quincy City Clerk and Licensing Board Chairman Joe Shea in a phone interview Wednesday.

According to Shea, the first violation happened at Tully’s on May 29. The Brian Tully, a bartender at the restaurant and the brother of owner Mark Tully, was allegedly caught possessing and selling marijuana and cocaine at the bar.

Police Chief Paul Keenan outlined the undercover drug operation and subsequent arrest during the hearing, and owner Mark Tully admitted to sufficient facts during the proceedings

“That’s the first violation we’ve had at Tully’s in a long, long while,” Shea said. “Tully’s has been owned by the Tully family for 76 years.”

The board levied a three-day suspension on the bar’s all-alcohol license, which will be held in abeyance for one year.

“They don’t have to serve it until the outcome of his case,” Shea said. “If [Brian Tully] is found not guilty, [they don’t have to serve it]. If he’s found guilty, they will serve the suspension, and he won’t be allowed to return.”

Currently, Brian Tully has been barred from the establishment and can’t go on the premises.

If the bar has another violation within the one-year time frame, that will also automatically trigger the suspension, Shea said.

Tully is due in court on the charges on Aug. 26 for a status hearing. He has already been charged and arraigned.

In a phone interview, owner Mark Tully said he felt the proceedings were fair.

“I think there is a routine that they follow for first-time offenses and things like that. I think that their findings and decision were appropriate,” Tully said. “… They have guidelines. I didn’t have any complaints about that.”

Tully said he didn’t plan on appealing the ruling at this time.

The licensing board also cracked down on Quincy Jade Restaurant, which has been in front of the licensing board three times in the past three years.

Previously, the bar was cited for serving minors and received a written warning. In June 2012, the bar served a one-day suspension for serving alcohol after hours.

According to Shea, the board had received a complaint on July 29 that the bar was again serving patrons alcohol after the 1 a.m. cut off. A police lieutenant went down to the restaurant a few days later and reported witnessing not only alcohol being served after 1 a.m., but patrons drinking out of paper cups outside.

Shea said the lieutenant reported at the hearing that people greeted him when he walked past, even though they were breaking the law.

“Under no conditions can you be outside, and it was an hour and 10 minutes after he’s supposed to stop serving alcohol. He has a license to serve food till 2 a.m. – no one was there eating food,” Shea said.

Shea said the lieutenant interviewed all 20 people sitting in or outside of the bar and took nearly a dozen photos.

Shea said owner Mihn Phuoc Giang, through a translator, denied the incident had happened.

“He said he called the police to get these people out of his place, but police didn’t answer the phone. But [the city] has police records,” Shea said.

Giang eventually admitted to the offenses.

The bar will have both its food and liquor license revoked for five days, to be served in mid-September.

“Originally there may have been a language barrier but we had two interpreters there. He understands perfectly. He also understands any [more] visits to the board…he will probably face a revocation,” Shea said.

A person answering the phone at the restaurant said Giang does not speak well enough English to comment, and declined to interpret responses for him.

Although the offenses will sit on both bars’ permanent records in the Licensing Board offices, Shea wasn’t concerned about any long-term problems with either establishment due to the Quincy Center redevelopment, which is set to demolish both restaurants within a matter of years.

“Both these places won’t be there for long,” Shea said.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article