THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Quincy commuter ferry to be shut down for six months

Posted by Jessica Bartlett  October 23, 2013 01:03 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Quincy’s MBTA ferry will be closed at least at least six month months due to structural problems that were worsened by a recent water main break.

According to a flyer handed out to riders Wednesday, Quincy ferry commuters will be required to use other forms of transportation for the next several months.

“While the seawall/bulkhead at the Quincy Terminal was already slated for repair due to its deteriorating condition, the latest water main break has further compromised its structure to the degree that engineers have determined it should not be used by the public,” the flyer said.

Ferry service has been suspended out of the Fore River Shipyard since Oct. 16, after a water line broke near the place that customers board the boats. The line broke approximately 30 feet from the sea wall, but soon formed a crack in the pavement within 10 feet of the sea wall.

“It will be at least six months before repairs are completed. In addition to the sea wall at the Terminal end, the wharf/dock to which the USS Salem is tied is also in disrepair and has been closed to the public,” the flyer stated.

Customers will operate the ferry service out of Hingham in the interim. Hingham and Quincy schedules are being reviewed and will be revised to improve service.

Customers have also been encouraged to use the Greenbush and Old Colony commuter lines as well as the Red Line.

The development may comes as a disappointment to Quincy residents, who just last year lost all the parking in the Quincy Center MBTA garage due to structural deficiencies. Yet Quincy officials were optimistic.

“I think commuters are certainly disappointed, but at the same time these are some infrastructure issues the T needs to take care of, and they are in the process of taking care of them,” said Christopher Walker, spokesman for Mayor Thomas Koch.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article