THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Quincy Scanner Tales: Fire causes $200k in damage, Fire sparked at Eastern Nazarene, Candle causes bedroom fire

Posted by Jessica Bartlett  January 6, 2014 05:01 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Fire causes $200,000 in damage

A fire sparked by a “vintage” space heater did upwards of $200,000 in damage to a West Squantum home, Fire Department officials said.

According to Deputy Fire Chief Paul Griffith, the call came in at 4:23 a.m. Saturday from several people who were driving by the house.

When fire crews arrived, the entire front of the house was engulfed in flames, Griffith said. All five of the building’s occupants were out of the house and standing in the freezing temperatures. Three people – two adults and a 14-month old baby – were taken to the hospital as a precaution, Griffith said.

Griffith said the cause of the fire was a vintage electric space heater that the family was using to heat a three-season porch. The family told fire crews that they were heating plants in the room.

Fire crews said the heater caught another combustible in the house on fire. The family heard the smoke detectors going off and when they went to inspect what was causing the noise, found the whole room engulfed.

Griffith said most of the fire was out within an hour; however, crews remained on the scene until 7 a.m. overhauling the house.

The house is uninhabitable, fire officials said.


Light fixture starts fire at Eastern Nazarene

A fluorescent light fixture caused a small fire at Eastern Nazarene College on Saturday morning.

Deputy Fire Chief Jeffrey Starr said the fire started in a light fixture located in the kitchen of the student center.

The fire caused $5,000 in damages. No one was injured.


Candle causes bedroom fire

A candle caused a house fire on Payne Street Sunday morning, fire crews said.

According to Deputy Fire Chief Jeffrey Starr, the fire started at 10:41 a.m. in the bedroom of the four-family home.

A candle had been left on a radiator, fire crews said, and it fell into a laundry basket full of clothes.

The bedroom was engulfed by the time fire crews arrived; however, the fire only took 10 minutes to put out, Starr said. Crews remained on the scene an additional half-hour to check for smoldering.

Starr said the occupant of the unit where the fire occurred had left 45 minutes before the fire was discovered. Fire crews said smoke detectors went off and alerted other residents of the building.

No one was injured in the fire. Five people were displaced.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article