Posted by Susannah Blair March 16, 2012 10:00 AM
The following was submitted by Enterprise Center at Salem State University:
Six North Shore companies are semi-finalists in the 2012 North of Boston Business Plan Competition, a program designed to identify and support both start-up and existing growth businesses. They are as follows:
- Advastim™ LLC of Beverly, MA, produces a wireless (leadless) neurostimulator system that can potentially minimize complications and improve long-term effectiveness of spinal cord and other neurostimulation treatment. www.advastim.com
- Doodle Roll® is an all-in-one paper and crayon activity kit from Imagination Brands, a Beverly-based company that develops innovative, sustainable, fun and affordable arts and crafts and business products. www.imaginationbrands.com
- Infection Prevention Solutions, Inc. wants to make healthcare safer, greener and more cost-effective by changing the equipment, processes and management system for regulated medical wastes. The company is based in Andover, MA, and does not yet have a website.
- Mathesis Tech, Inc. will find and train employees for entry-level positions in the U.S. information technology industry. The Lynnfield, MA, company is focused on recapturing the American knowledge advantage that has dissipated as IT has been outsourced to other countries. This company does not yet have a website.
- PJC & Company Ecological Land Care of Rowley, MA, offers all natural, organic fertilizers and products, along with programs and consulting for large-scale customers such as landscapers, schools and municipalities. www.organicfertilizer.com
- Shady Oaks Organics is meeting the needs of local restaurants and markets for fresh, gourmet mushrooms. They grow several varieties of oyster and shitake mushrooms organically in Newburyport, MA. www.shadyoaksorganics.com
More companies than ever entered this year’s competition. The cash prizes — $5,000 first prize, $3,000 second prize and $2,000 third prize — are only one reason why many companies enter. For most, the discipline of doing a plan, opportunity to receive feedback from an expert judging panel, and exposure to potential investors are the primary motivating factors. In fact, previous winners uniformly credited their participation in the competition as a critical step in their ability to survive and thrive.
On March 28th the judges will interview the semifinalists and choose three finalists to present their plans to an audience of judges, regional business leaders and interested onlookers on Monday, April 9th from 3 to 6 pm. The finale will take place in the recital hall of the Bertolon School of Business on the Salem State University central campus. The public is invited to attend this free event and the reception that follows.
For regional business leaders, the Competition identifies new growth businesses that can contribute to the local economy. This year’s competition has nine sponsors and 14 co-sponsors.
“Entrepreneurs may well hold the future of our local economy and workforce in their hands,” remarked Christine Sullivan, CEO of the Enterprise Center, the primary sponsor of the competition. “This competition shows them that we recognize their importance, want to support them and, of course, that we want them stay right here on the North Shore to grow their company.”
The Competition is grateful for the support of its GOLD Sponsors: TD Bank and People’s United Bank; its SILVER Sponsors: Salem Five Charitable Foundation, Community Credit Union, East Boston Savings Bank, North Shore Technology Council, Ozzy Properties, Phil Holberton Pitch Coaching; and Media Sponsor, The Salem News.
Co-sponsors of the 2012 competition include the 128 Innovation Capital Group, Amesbury Chamber of Commerce, Bertolon School of Business at Salem State University, Cape Ann Business Incubator, Creative Economy Association of the North Shore, Greater Newburyport Chamber of Commerce, Lynn Area Chamber of Commerce, Marblehead Chamber of Commerce, Merrimack Valley Economic Development Council, North Shore Alliance for Economic Development, Peabody Chamber of Commerce, Salem Chamber of Commerce, Salem State University Alumni Association and the Small Business Development Center at Salem State University.
For more detailed information about the 2012 North of Boston Business Plan Competition, visit www.enterprisectr.org/bpc or call (978) 542-7528.