A machete attack in the Point Neighborhood has a 26-year-old Salem man in court on Friday to answer to a charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.
Hector B. Ravelo, of 34 Perkins Street, will be arraigned today in Salem District Court after police say he attacked another man with a machete following a verbal altercation on Thursday afternoon.
Patrolmen Victor Ruiz and Ryan Arundel responded to Palmer Street shortly after noon on a report of a fight in progress. According to Sergeant Marc Berube, the officers found a crowd of people gathered in the street, where the two combatants had already fled.
According to Berube, the victim had left the scene in a red vehicle before returning to the scene a short time later, where he was treated for a "superficial cut" to the back of his right thigh.
Berube said at first glance, the attack and resulting injury sound a lot worse than they were.
"It sounds like a horrific stabbing but it's really just superficial," Berube said. "He didn't even go to the hospital."
The victim stated to police that Ravelo is known to him, and the incident with the machete was the result of an argument between the two that turned physical.
Police arrested Ravelo at his residence without incident a short time later.
Ryan Mooney can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.