THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Talk about car troubles...center console in Salem couple's car catches fire while driving

Posted by Ryan Mooney  November 19, 2012 11:04 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

If ever you find yourself pulled over on the side of the road cursing your luck as you're about to change a flat tire, just remember that it could be worse.

You could be like the unlucky couple whose car spontaneously combusted in Salem on Saturday night.

Salem firefighters actually determined that it was an electrical malfunction in or under the center console that caused the small fire in a vehicle at the intersection of Lafayette Street and Loring Avenue, according to an item in the daily activity log of the Salem police.

By the time officers responded to the 911 call, which came in just before 11 p.m., the fire department had already extinguished the minor blaze. Police spoke with the owners of the vehicle, who both stated that as they were driving, they noticed smoke coming from the center console.

"When they opened the console they saw small flames and thick smoke," the log report states.

The vehicle was towed by AAA and both parties refused medical attention.

Ryan Mooney can be reached at globe.mooney@yahoo.com. Follow him on Twitter @mooney_ryan.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article