Selectmen on Tuesday night postponed a decision on a request to declare a four-acre town-owned parcel of land as surplus, which would have allowed affordable housing on the site.
Affordable Housing Trust Chairman John Hallin met with selectmen Tuesday and outlined plans to build two duplex homes on the Stockbridge Road site. The proposal would create a total of four units for two groups, Habitat for Humanity and Homes for Our Troops.
It is the first project proposed by the Affordable Housing Trust, which was formed two years ago by Town Meeting to develop affordable housing under the Community Preservation Act.
The trust has $1.5 million to be used to augment the town’s stock of affordable housing.
Selectmen balked at a decision because members were under the impression the site had been committed to the Habitat for Humanity group led by former Selectman Richard Lane, who did not attend the meeting.
Hallin told selectmen he is working with Lane, but selectmen want Lane and neighbors to attend a future meeting to discuss the proposal.
“There’s more work to do to declare it surplus,” Joseph Norton, chairman of the Board of Selectmen, said after the meeting.
The site has been a sensitive spot for neighbors who helped reject a plan at Town Meeting to build three affordable homes on the parcel in 2006.