THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Storm damage causes house fire in Scituate

Posted by Jessica Bartlett  February 13, 2013 11:49 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

IMG955361.jpg

Photo courtesy of Lt. Ted Coyle with Scituate Police

s

An Oceanside Drive house fire on Tuesday showed no visable flames.

Weekend storm damage on a waterfront home in Scituate caused a fire at the home Tuesday afternoon, prompting fire officials to remind residents to double-check the safety of their electrical equipment.

According to Fire Chief Richard Judge, the Oceanside Drive home had been significantly damaged by the ocean, which crashed into the first floor during the storm, even knocking over the refrigerator.

When the power was turned back on to the property at around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, the salt damage sparked an electrical fire in the kitchen, Judge said.

However “[the fire] caused considerably less damage than the storm,” Judge said. Firefighters arrived on scene shortly after the fire started and knocked out the flames before they spread elsewhere.

Firefighters had been at the property a few days earlier and had evacuated the homeowner at the height of the storm, Judge said.

The incident is a reminder to all homeowners to check whether their electrical appliances came in contact with water from the sea or from melting snow.

“I recommend to all people if any of their electrical appliances came in contact with water to have it checked out by an electrician before they reenergize it. They shouldn’t have it plugged in,” Judge said.

For a list of other steps returning homeowners should take, click here.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article