THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
< Back to front page Text size +

Somerville Broadway shooting suspect remains jailed

Posted by Jarret Bencks  January 8, 2013 08:58 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

A man charged with shooting another man outside his parents' three-family home in November was ordered to remain jailed in an arraignment Monday, according to a statement from Middlesex County Attorney Gerry Leone.

Santano Dessin, 33, allegedly shot a 28-year-old man on the front stoop of his parents' home at 196 Broadway on Nov. 11. The victim was visiting one of the building's tenants and preparing to walk home when Dessin came out of the house and confronted him and two other men, prosecutors previously said.

The victim remains hospitalized with a bullet lodged in his neck that is life-threatening, the statement said.

Dessin's family and lawyer have maintained the shooting was self-defense; that the victim and the two other men would not let him back into his parents' home and attacked him when he threatened to call the police.

But prosecutors have said that a cellphone video made by Dessin shows he escalated the incident and made attempts to make it appear to be self-defense.

He was previously ordered held without bail in court proceedings in Somerville District Court before a Middlesex County Superior Court Grand Jury handed up an indictment on the charges in December.

Clerk Magistrate Michael Sullivan ordered Dessin to remain jailed pending a dangerousness hearing, slated for Feb. 13.

He was indicted on the charges last month.

Jarret Bencks can be reached at bencks.globe@gmail.com. Follow him on twitter @JarretBencks.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article