What's the best independent coffee shop in Greater Boston?
We're obsessed with coffee over at Boston.com, so wanted to put together Coffee Week to celebrate all things java!
New interactives, maps, and galleries for the caffeine-obsessed will be unveiled each day this week. On Sunday, we wrote and mapped out how Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks are battling for coffee supremacy in Massachusetts. Today, we took a look at the national trend.
We wanted to find a way to feature local independent shops that have also developed a passionate following. Sadly, we still couldn't fit everyone in (but we've got something Wednesday that might go toward fixing that). We didn't want to leave anyone out.
FULL ENTRYLowell holds garden improvement day
This article is being published under an
arrangement between the Boston Globe and the Gordon College News
Service.
Local audiologist speaking at National Audiology Convention in Anaheim
Shawsheen senior students learn financial lessons from CBSsmart course
Cambridge Savings Bank recently completed its first ever CSBsmart course at Shawsheen Valley Technical High School in Billerica, engaging the entire senior class, according to a press release.
Superintendent Charlie Lyons required the CSBsmart program of all 323 seniors at the school.
“The practical skills shared will enable our students to be fully prepared for future success," said Lyons.
Evan Diamond, CSB Financial Education program manager, noted that financial education is particularly important for Shawsheen seniors who have already entered the work force.
"These hard-working students now possess the money-management skills to budget and save their money, successfully use a checking account, prevent unmanageable debt, build a favorable credit history, and avoid becoming victims of fraud," said Diamond.
Superintendent Lyons said 54% of his seniors are currently employed in co-op positions as part of their education. Shawsheen students come from numerous communities, including Billerica, Tewksbury, Bedford, Burlington, and Wilmington.
Based on pre- and post-session survey results, the seniors on average gained understanding of more than five new key financial concepts each.
Wilmington student receives Malden Catholic award
Bullying and hearing loss
Carlisle Man Arraigned On Charges of Dissemination of Matter Harmful to a Minor and Dissemination of Obscene Material
The following is a release from the Middlesex District Attorney's Office
WOBURN– A Carlisle man has been arraigned on charges of dissemination of matter harmful to a minor and dissemination of obscene material, Middlesex District Attorney Gerry Leone informed the public today.
David Rodriguez, 28, of Carlisle, has been arraigned in Woburn District Court on a charge of dissemination of matter harmful to a minor. Woburn District Court Judge Marianne Hinkle ordered the defendant held on $5,000 cash bail with conditions that he have no contact with minors except his own children, and that he not access the internet.
The defendant was previously arraigned in Concord District Court on charges of dissemination of obscene material (6 counts), identity theft and criminal harassment. In that matter, Concord District Court Judge Peter Kilmartin ordered the defendant held on $500 cash bail with conditions that he have no contact with children under the age of 18 except his own children, stay away from public libraries, not access the internet, not possess devices which can access the internet, and that he be subject to random checks by the probation department to confirm that he is abiding by these conditions.
His next court date in Woburn District Court is March 1 for a pretrial conference. His next court date in Concord District Court is March 26 for a pretrial conference.
“These are very disturbing allegations, where a person, hiding behind the anonymity of the internet, has been able to access and exploit unwitting victims, including at least one child,” District Attorney Leone said. “These cases are a stark reminder of the potential dangers of predators who manipulate the relative freedom of the internet for their own ends. As adults we have to be mindful and vigilant about the people we interact with on-line and especially so when it comes to our children.”
According to authorities, this past fall, a California resident contacted the Concord Police Department to allege that a person had taken photographs from her Facebook page and posted them without permission on pornographic websites. Authorities began an investigation and identified the defendant, a resident of Carlisle. Through their investigation, authorities learned that the defendant’s on-line activities extended beyond that alleged by the initial complainant.
It is alleged that the defendant created fake Facebook accounts and initiated on-line contacts through these accounts, using the aliases “Danny Hyde,” “Chad Best” and “Tommy Holmes.” Once the defendant initiated these on-line contacts, he would then send the victims shocking and unsolicited sexual images, including some that showed a printed photograph of the recipient covered with what appeared to be a bodily fluid. In at least one case, the defendant is alleged to have continued to engage in this behavior despite repeated requests by the recipient that he stop doing so.
Recipients of these harassing and obscene communications have been identified in Massachusetts and in other states. At least one victim has been identified as a minor as young as 14-years-old. In some instances, the defendant is alleged to have also engaged in sexual conversations with underage persons.
The investigation remains ongoing. The case is being investigated by the Concord, Carlisle and Wilmington police departments in a joint effort with the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office Cyber Protection and Child Abuse Units, and State Police assigned to the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office.
Members of the public who may have information that could be helpful to the investigation can contact the Massachusetts State Police at 781-897-6600 or the Child Abuse Unit at 781-897-8400.
These charges are allegations, and the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
The prosecutor assigned to handle these matters is Assistant District Attorney David Solet, Chief of the Cyber Protection Program.
Do business at the 2013 North Shore Business Expo
Visiting Nurse and Community Health’s 'Pot of Gold' draws hundreds
The following was submitted by Visiting Nurse and Community Health, Inc.:
Harry Allen of Arlmont Fuel (pictured left) was the MC for Visiting Nurse and Community Health’s (VNCH) 7th annual “Pot of Gold” event at the Sons of Italy Hall in Arlington. Pot of Gold attendees enjoyed a tasty buffet dinner from Blue Ribbon BBQ, and the top silent auction bidders walked away with great items. As the night progressed and numbers were eliminated, hope was kept alive as fantastic “loser prizes” were periodically distributed. The final and “Luckiest Loser” of the night received a night stay at the Westin Hotel! This year, the top 10 finalists unanimously decided to split the “Pot of Gold”, which made for 10 very excited $1,000 winners! Pot of Gold Committee members were, Harry Allen, Bob Bowes, Bowes Real Estate; Harry Allen; Kathleen Darcy, Cambridge Savings Bank; Tim Haley, Prakash Ellenhorn, LLC; Meredith Lambroff of VNCH; (pictured above at right); Lisa Lorgeree, Brookline Bank and Starry Poe, Brookline Bank. VNCH serves the following communities: Acton, Arlington, Bedford, Belmont, Billerica, Brookline, Burlington, Cambridge, Carlisle, Chelsea, Concord, Everett, Lexington, Lincoln, Malden, Medford, Melrose, Newton, Revere, Somerville, Stoneham, Tyngsboro, Wakefield, Waltham, Watertown, Wayland, Westford, Weston, Wilmington, Winchester, Winthrop and Woburn.
Libertarian candidate for 6th Congressional District files complaint against WCVB-TV
Daniel Fishman, the libertarian, first-time politician from Beverly running for Massachusetts' 6th Congressional District seat held by Democratic incumbent John Tierney, is filing an official complaint with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) after being barred from Thursday's televised debate with Tierney and Republican challenger Richard Tisei held by WCVB-TV.
Fishman is arguing that the station's criteria for participants to join the debate - specifically that participants must have $50,000 in campaign contributions - violate FEC rules governing candidate debates.
The section of the commission's rules governing federal elections regarding debates reads: "For all debates, staging organization(s) must use pre-established objective criteria to determine which candidates may participate in a debate."
In his complaint, Fishman argues that the two weeks notice he was given by WCVB - he received an email from the station outlining its criteria on October 11, exactly 14 days before the debate - does not constitute pre-established criteria, and that "the requirements seem tailor made to exclude my campaign, which makes them not objective."
Fishman has staunchly refused to accept any corporate money throughout his campaign, and falls well short of the $50,000 requirement.
"The idea that you have to raise $50,000 is, that might make sense business-wise, but it's not what we want government to be," Fishman said in a phone interview on Tuesday. "That's the one that's probably the most glaring and not objective...everything else [criteria-wise] there is probably some debate about, but the $50,000 one is really unreasonable.
"The idea that a person wanting to run a grassroots campaign would deliberately be excluded, that's not very objective."
WCVB also requires that candidates have a campaign staff of at least three, a daily campaign schedule, regular communication with news media, and at least a 10 percent showing in the two latest independent polls.
"At the time of WCVB's [email], there had not been two independent polls indicating my support at less than 10 percent, so the criteria was impossible to achieve," Fishman writes in his complaint. "To this date there still have not been two polls indicating my support is less than 10 percent, only polls which did not include me."
He also argues that "regular communication" with the news media is a vague term that "lends itself to being used in a discriminatory manner."
A spokesperson for WCVB declined to say whether the station will concede to include Fishman, or file a response to the FEC defending its position, but did issue a comment regarding the complaint.
"We believe that the complaint is factually and legally unfounded," WCVB said in a statement. "In the fullness of time we believe the FEC will resolve the complaint in favor of WCVB."
But Fishman's complaint mostly hangs on the $50,000 requirement. In a phone interview, he accused the station of trying to preserve its advertising base with candidates by requiring them to at least have the means to advertise with them, under the assumption that those who do will.
Fishman says that setting the precedent that someone can win an election without spending the kind of money that Tierney and Tisei are spending on their campaigns - well more than $1 million each - would be bad business for T.V. stations.
He acknowledged that the station has never said anything to base his claims on, but alludes to it in a not-so-subtle way in his complaint.
"I appreciate that WCVB charges a great deal for advertizing (sic) and is concerned that candidates who have not raised $50,000 cannot afford to by ads from them," he wrote to the FEC. "My campaign is not less legitimate for not reaching their criteria however.
"With modern citizen based journalism, Social Media and Youtube (sic), the opinion that a campaign MUST raise cash like that is arbitrary."
With Election Day less than two weeks away, the next 6th District Representative will be decided long before anything comes of Fishman's complaint unless WCVB lets him participate, or he withdraws the complaint. Based on FEC timeframe guidelines for complaints, WCVB is not even required to respond until after the election.
If the FEC finds that there is reason to believe the station has violated its rules, an investigation can be launched, and the entire process from start to finish could take months.
A spokesperson for the FEC said that the station could face fines if found to be violating FEC rules.
Ryan Mooney can be reached at globe.mooney@yahoo.com. Follow him on Twitter @mooney_ryan.

