Newton Highlands railroad station was built before the town, when the Charles River Railroad was extended through Newton in 1852. The track was mainly used by cars carrying gravel from Needham to fill the Back Bay until the early 1870s, when the railbed was upgraded and residents started developing the area. Newton Highlands was chosen as the villages name at a meeting held specifically for that purpose. The Green Line T stop currently lies on the old stations site.
A giraffe welcomes visitors into a toy store along Lincoln Street in the Newton Highlands.