THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

R.I. company wins bid to build Quincy school

By Jessica Bartlett
Globe Correspondent / June 3, 2012
Text size +
  • E-mail
  • E-mail this article

    Invalid E-mail address
    Invalid E-mail address

    Sending your article

    Your article has been sent.

Quincy officials have accepted a Rhode Island contractor’s $30.8 million bid for construction of a new Central Middle School, with the target completion date unchanged at September 2013.

H.V. Collins Co. of Providence was chosen general contractor on the project, beating out competing bids that ranged from $32 million to $35 million.

Although the bidding was delayed by a lawsuit that successfully challenged Quincy’s bid practices, mayoral spokesman Christopher Walker said the bid package didn’t have to be redone, just kept open longer. While that slightly shortened the accounted-for contingency time in the construction schedule, it has not delayed things beyond repair, Walker said.

In addition to being on time, the bid came within the construction budget proposed by the Massachusetts School Building Authority, which will reimburse the city for 80 percent of the costs for most of the project, Walker said.

According to Walker, the construction budget was projected at $32,607,100 by the building authority. The Collins bid came in at $30,785,637 and included subcontractor bids.

Previously, Waltham-based NASDI LLC won a $1,585,000 contract for additional demolition and abatement. The company also has a final credit for a change order of $245,727, bringing the final construction budget to $32.1 million.

The city has already spent approximately $9 million on site acquisition and demolition, which is not covered by the 80 percent reimbursement from the state.

In addition, $3 million has been placed in a contingency fund, $700,000 will be used for computers and other technology, and $700,000 will be used for furniture and desks. There are also architectural fees and other nonconstruction costs that add up to the $50 million total that was approved for the new school, Walker said.

“They are all reimbursable, but not a part of the $32 million construction budget,” Walker said.

To make way for the new Central Middle School, Quincy purchased the former St. Anne’s School, land owned by Eastern Nazarene College, a private home, and a chiropractor’s office. The current school was built in 1894.

Jessica Bartlett can be reached at jessica.may.bartlett@gmail.com.

  • E-mail
  • E-mail this article

    Invalid E-mail address
    Invalid E-mail address

    Sending your article

    Your article has been sent.


    waiting for twitterWaiting for Twitter to feed in the latest...