With tens of thousands of marathoners and half a million spectators expected for the 123rd annual Boston Marathon, this holiday weekend is a good one to leave your car at home.
If that’s not enough to deter you from driving, the Boston Department of Transportation recently announced numerous traffic and parking restrictions in effect through Monday.
The following streets will close starting at 3:30 a.m.:
– Berkeley Street, St. James Avenue to Newbury Street
– Boylston Street, Berkeley Street to Arlington Street
The following streets will close starting at 5 a.m.:
– Boylston Street, Tremont Street to Arlington Street
– Charles Street, Park Plaza to Beacon Street
The following street will close starting at 6 a.m.:
– Boylston Street, Hereford Street to Arlington Street
The following streets in Back Bay will close starting at 8 a.m.:
– Clarendon Street, St. James Avenue to Newbury Street
– Dartmouth Street, St. James Avenue to Newbury Street
– Exeter Street, Newbury Street to Huntington Avenue
– Ring Road, Huntington Avenue to Boylston Street
– Fairfield Street, Newbury Street to Boylston Street
– Gloucester Street, Newbury Street to Boylston Street
– Providence Street, Arlington Street to Berkeley Street
– Trinity Place, St. James Avenue to Massachusetts Turnpike on-ramp
– Boylston Street, Massachusetts Avenue to Arlington Street
– Newbury Street, Arlington Street to Charlesgate East
– St. James Avenue, Arlington Street to Dartmouth Street
– Huntington Avenue (outbound), Dartmouth Street to Belvidere Street
– Stuart Street, Arlington Street to Dartmouth Street
– Blagden Street, Huntington Avenue to Exeter Street
– Berkeley Street, Columbus Avenue to Newbury Street
– Clarendon Street, Commonwealth Avenue to Columbus Avenue
– Dartmouth Street, Commonwealth Avenue to Columbus Avenue
– Exeter Street, Commonwealth Avenue to Huntington Avenue
– Fairfield Street, Commonwealth Avenue to Boylston Street
– Gloucester Street, Commonwealth Avenue to Boylston Street
– Hereford Street, Commonwealth Avenue to Boylston Street
– Dalton Street, Belvidere Street to Boylston Street
– Belvidere Street, Huntington Avenue to Dalton Street
The following streets in Kenmore Square will close starting at 8 a.m.:
– Beacon Street, Park Drive to Commonwealth Avenue
– Brookline Avenue, Lansdowne Street to Commonwealth Avenue
– Newbury Street Extension, Brookline Avenue to Charlesgate West
– Commonwealth Avenue (inbound), from BU Bridge to Gloucester Street
– Commonwealth Avenue (outbound), Hereford Street to Deerfield Street
– Kenmore Street, Newbury Street Extension to Commonwealth Avenue (outbound)
– Raleigh Street, Beacon Street Extension to Commonwealth Avenue (outbound)
The following streets in Brighton will close starting at 8:30 a.m.:
– Commonwealth Avenue, Beacon Street to Gloucester Street, and from the Newton City Line (Lake Street) to Chestnut Hill Avenue
– Beacon Street, Chestnut Hill Avenue to the Brookline town line (Cleveland Circle)
– Chestnut Hill Avenue, Commonwealth Avenue to Brookline town line (Ayr Road)
Boylston Street is expected to reopen at 8 p.m., and all other streets are expected to reopen at 7 p.m.
Expect road closures in the following towns along the Boston Marathon route at these approximate times, according to the B.A.A.:
– Hopkinton from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
– Ashland from 7:15 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.
– Framingham from 8:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.
– Natick from 8:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.
– Wellesley from 8:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
– Newton from 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
– Brookline from 9 a.m. to 5:15 p.m.
– Boston until 6:30 p.m.
Photos: The Boston Marathon through the years: