Readers Say

These are the best trivia nights in Greater Boston, according to readers

Readers have you covered with a trivia event for every night of the week.

Somerville, MA 1/23/07 -- Trivia night at P.J. Ryan's Pub in Somerville Tuesday. January 23, 2007. Erik Jacobs for the Boston Globe Library Tag 02012007 Calendar -- 09IrishPubs

If you’re looking for a way to add some more fun and good-natured competition into a weeknight hang with friends, consider going to a trivia night in Greater Boston. Trivia nights are a great way to connect with friends and show off all of the obscure knowledge you’ve collected throughout your life, and many Boston.com readers are already big fans. 

Paul H. from Waltham said he does trivia at Mighty Squirrel Brewing Co. in Waltham because of the “great questions, great beer, chance to win gift cards, and a chance to meet my buddies every week.”

Advertisement:

Massachusetts residents love trivia, according to an analysis by BetMassachusetts.com, which found that we have the second highest search traffic for “trivia,” “trivia night,” “trivia near me,” “trivia questions” and “trivia game” in the country. 

We asked our readers where they go to enjoy a night of trivia with friends and they shared enough options to get you out and answering brain teasers every night of the week. Below, you’ll find a guide to local trivia events and a map of all the bars and restaurants featured on this list. 

Sasha S. from Needham said she loved her weekly trivia game at The Biltmore in Newton so much that she decided to become a trivia host at Grainne O’Malleys in Brookline. Both trivia nights made it onto our reader-recommended guide.

“I’ve gotten to know so many cool people and it’s such a tight little community that has become the highlight of my week. In a world where technology has taken over in a sense, putting your phone away, communicating as a team, and using the knowledge we have on hand instead of Google is more important than ever. It’s what makes us human so to see everyone come together and bond is truly a beautiful thing,” she told Boston.com. “I look forward to playing and hosting all week!”

Advertisement:

If there’s a trivia event that you love that you don’t see featured on this list, we want to know about it.

A 🏆 means that this trivia night was the one of top recommendations from readers. 

Monday

Holy Grail Bar and Restaurant (166 Great Road, Acton)

When: Mondays at 7 p.m.

“Fun atmosphere, good drinks, good questions, and teams,” said Dustin D. from Acton.

Howling Wolf Taqueria (76 Lafayette St., Salem)

When: Mondays at 7 p.m.

“This Mexican restaurant in Salem has great food and drinks and trivia every Monday night,” said Allen from Salem.

The Castle (240 Rantoul St., Beverly)

When: Mondays at 8 p.m.

“The Castle has excellent trivia. I especially like their themed trivia nights, such as Harry Potter, Star Wars, and Christmas movies. If you are a superfan of something, The Castle trivia will actually challenge you. The competition is fierce. They also have fun rules that allow you to double your score for a round or take a minimum score if you’re not too confident. The trivia is done on paper or through an app, so it’s not just a test of who can blurt out the answer fastest,” said Jessica from Peabody.

The Haven (284 Amory St., Jamaica Plain)

When: Every other Monday at 7 p.m.

“The Haven has great food, drinks, and atmosphere,” said one reader from Jamaica Plain.

The Quiet Few (331 Sumner St., East Boston)

When: Mondays at 8 p.m.

“Solid trivia at a fantastic bar,” said Adam from East Boston. “What else is there to say?” 

Tuesday

Coolidge Corner Clubhouse (307 Harvard St., Brookline)

When: Tuesdays at 8 p.m.

“Milo does a phenomenal job running Tuesday night Trivia. He comes up with his own questions,” said one reader. “Always a fun time.”

Eugene O’Neill’s (3700 Washington St., Boston)

When: Tuesdays at 7 p.m.

“The host is fantastic! Gabby keeps everyone engaged and makes sure everyone has a great time,” said Shelley H. from Jamaica Plain.

Lucky’s 777 Bar and Grill (777 Plymouth St, Holbrook)

When: Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m.

“Good friends, good times and keeps the brain active. And sometimes you learn a thing or two,” a reader from Braintree said. “We’ve been doing it for so long we can’t remember.”

🏆 Minglewood Harborside (25 Rogers St., Gloucester) 

“The trivia guy, Brian, is funny and engaging. He makes the whole game so much better. More than just a question asker. Great music, too,” said Julianna from Gloucester. “Minglewood’s prizes are GREAT, compared to other bars and restaurants I’ve played at. The food is great too.”

🏆 The Biltmore (1205 Chestnut St., Newton) 

“I’ve been going to Biltmore for a while and have been playing trivia for 6 months now and I have been absolutely loving it. I’ve brought my family and friends to play with me but I do play alone to decompress after work. Trivia has given me a new outlook on my information intake and I’ve become more aware of my surroundings on the off chance that something I observe or learn will be a trivia question,” said Sasha S. from Needham. 

Old Court Irish Pub and Restaurant (29-31 Central St, Lowell) 

When: Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m.

“Frank is a great host! Come for the questions, stay for the Guinness!” Jack from Lowell said.

Shamrock Pub (501 East 8th St., South Boston)

“The Shamrock Pub is the only place I go for trivia. They have the best steak tips in town and the coldest beer this far south from the North Pole,” said Chris C.

Wednesday

Boston Ale House (1885 Centre St., West Roxbury)

When: Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m.

“Great variety of questions, excellent music. Awesome vibes,” said Josh N. from West Roxbury.

Cagney’s (214 Washington St., Quincy)

When: Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. and Thursdays at 8 p.m.

“Great host and great food,” said Mark M.

Charlie’s Kitchen (10 Eliot St., Cambridge)

When: Wednesday at 8 p.m.

“Chill place with a great host. Have a fun rivalry with other teams,” said Andy from Cambridge.

Donohue’s Bar and Grill (87 Bigelow Ave., Watertown)

When: Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

“It is a family-friendly fun atmosphere,” a reader shared. “Trivia is wonderful as are the libations!”

Dorchester Brewing Company (1250 Massachusetts Ave., Boston)

When: Wednesdays at 7 p.m.

Dugout Cafe (722 Commonwealth Ave., Boston)

When: Wednesday at 8 p.m.

“It’s a nice break from law school and very fun!” Sam from Fenway shared.

Grainne O’Malley’s Tavern (201 Harvard St., Brookline)

When: Wednesdays 7:30 p.m.

“It’s a very welcoming place with great hosts and people. Always great variations of questions and always full to capacity every week,” said Jim L.

Jeanie Johnston Pub and Grill (144 South St., Jamaica Plain)

When: Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

“Paper-based trivia game. Great atmosphere and a fun crowd. Best bartenders!” Christine G. from Jamaica Plain said.

🏆 Joe Sent Me (849 Main St., Waltham)

“The atmosphere here is awesome. Erin does an amazing job hosting and making it so much fun. The food here is unbelievable as well as the drinks,” said Olivia from Waltham. “I highly recommend playing here!”

Advertisement:

Joe Sent Me’s Waltham location was recommended by readers, but the bar also does trivia on Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. at the Cambridge location, 2388 Massachusetts Ave.

🏆 Mighty Squirrel Brewing Co. (411 Waverley Oaks Rd., Waltham)

“Hands down the best brew in Boston. The Cloud Candy is best paired with trivia. It’s a friendly vibe that’s perfect for get-togethers with friends and some trivia,” said Michelle from Newton.

🏆Rocco’s Cucina & Bar (450 Commercial St., Boston)

“Great reason to get together with friends after work and it’s always a great vibe,” said Agnes from the North End.

The Cherry Tree (1349 Washington St., Newton)

When: Wednesdays at 7:30

“The questions aren’t complicated (most of the time). The explanation of the rules is very easy to grasp. On top of that, the host pulls a rabbit out of a hat every game by making the game fun and thrilling. He doesn’t waste time trying to tell stories but simply entertains the room by asking and answering trivia. Bartender usually adds bits and jokes after a question which is just the cherry on top!” Amanda from Jamaica Plain shared.

The Derby (189 Washington St., Salem)

“Great staff, excellent host, plus great signature cocktails. And the largest prizes that I know of — $50 for first, $25 for second,” said Susan D. from Salem.

The Hill Tavern (228 Cambridge St., Boston)

“Host Ryan is great. Every song he picks is either a pun or a clue to the questions. Makes it so much more fun than a random playlist!” John from Beacon Hill shared. 

The Square Root (2 Corinth St., Boston)

When: Every other Wednesday at 8 p.m.

“Pub quiz is more complex than regular trivia and so fun! The guy who runs it asks the best questions,” said Liz from Roslindale.

🏆 The Squealing Pig (134 Smith St., Boston)

“The questions are a good mix of reachable and challenging. It’s a great place to get a drink, catch up with friends, and have a grand time playing trivia,” said Michael A. from Mission Hill. 

Advertisement:

The Squealing Pig also has trivia on Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the Provincetown location, 335 Commercial St.

Warp and Weft (197 Market St., Lowell)

“It’s not really difficult. There are a few audio categories and musical bingo before trivia starts. The host is really fun and a lot of the same folks each week creates a good rivalry,” Karen M. from Lowell. “It’s rated R and sometimes on the verge of more than that.”

Thursday

Corrib Pub (2030 Centre St., West Roxbury)

When: First Thursday of every month at 7 p.m.

“The trivia moves along. There’s a visual component. The host is great and engaging. Good variety of questions,” a reader said. “Good food and great waitstaff!”

Echo Bridge Restaurant & Cafe (1068 Chestnut St, Newton)

When: Thursdays at 7 p.m.

“Echo Bridge is just a happy place to be and the food is excellent. Trivia host Mike ‘Sarge’ Riley is an affable host who strikes the right tone and keeps things moving with solid trivia questions. Mike does trivia on Thursdays. I also frequent his always-fun Music Bingo on Tuesdays,” said Ken L. from Canton.

SandBar Hull (297 Nantasket Ave., Hull)

When: Thursdays at 7 p.m.

“An entertaining evening of trivia that starts at 7 p.m. and is done by 8:30. You can go out for a drink and trivia and not have to make a whole night of it if you choose not to,” said Rob H. from Hull.

🏆 The Pickled Onion (355 Rantoul St., Beverly)

When: Thursdays at 6:30 p.m.

“I love going to the Pickled Onion every Thursday for trivia! The trivia guy Tim has the BEST voice for trivia! And everyone is always so into it and makes it so competitive and fun,” said Hannah from Beverly.

Friday

Shovel Town Brewery (50 Oliver St., North Easton)

When: Fridays at 8 p.m.

“The food is good and the trivia host is knowledgeable and very fun! The layout of the game is great too,” said Dorothy P. from Easton.

Saturday

The Puddingstone Tavern (1592 Tremont St., Boston)

When: Saturdays at 7 p.m.

You can go to this trivia night with a team or join an open table when you arrive. Pair your night of fun with a pick from their wide beer selection or a fun cocktail.  

Sunday

An Sibin (1193 Cambridge St., Cambridge)

When: Sundays at 8 p.m.

“Brennan the trivia host is the best in the game! His questions are well-written and researched and are guaranteed to inspire discussion (and often debate!) within our team. His polished yet casual hosting style creates a friendly and fun atmosphere, even when things get competitive,” said Jennifer O. from Quincy. “In addition, An Sibin’s delicious food and drink menu and friendly bar staff make it a great place to spend a night out.”

Bit Bar Salem (278 Derby St., Salem)

When: Sundays at 7:30 p.m.

Not Your Average Trivia at Bit Bar is frequented by one reader because it’s “unique trivia that is active and fun.”

Advertisement:

“Dance rounds, limbo, scavenger hunt, and beer tastings!”