Bethenny Frankel details in-flight fish allergy scare after she ended up at Newton-Wellesley

The allergen scare comes just weeks after Frankel, a Boston University alum, went into anaphylactic shock after eating soup.

BOSTON, MA- DECEMBER 06, 2017: Bethenny Frankel during "The Cocktail for Success, A Conversation With: Bethenny Frankel, Skinnygirl creator, self-made businesswoman and branding guru" during the Massachusetts Conference For Woman at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center in Boston, MA on on December 06, 2017. (CRAIG F. WALKER/GLOBE STAFF) section: Arts reporter: –Craig F. Walker/Globe Staff

“Real Housewives’’ star Bethenny Frankel says she had another close call with her fish allergy — this time when she was getting on a plane.

“Called airline mult x to say I have fish allergy,’’ Frankel wrote in a tweet. “Got on & they’re serving bass. They couldn’t not serve it they said. Then they were turning around which I protested bc it would delay people. Cabin asked to not serve it & pilot made announcement to plane. That was fun.’’

She did not identify which airline she was flying.

Frankel added the hashtag #epilife, referring to epinephrine, the lifesaving medication used to combat allergic reactions.

Advertisement

A number of Twitter users reached out, many suggesting flying privately, to which Frankel replied, “I am fortunate enough to do that sometimes, but it is a massive waste and not environmentally friendly if doing solo. But I hears ya.’’

Some others questioned the severity of Frankel’s allergy.

“Are you so allergic you can’t be around it now?’’ Asked one Twitter user. “Did you ever previously think of all the nut allergies who fly on planes?’’

“Yes and yes,’’ Frankel replied. “Always.’’

“To clarify: some allergens are transmitted by touch & air,’’ Frankel wrote in another tweet. “Fish is one & is fatal. The more exposure to them, the more susceptible. It’s not like an immunity thing where more exposure means less susceptible. It’s opposite. I’ve always kept it quiet but that’s over now.’’

The allergen scare comes just weeks after Frankel, a Boston University alum, went into anaphylactic shock after eating soup. The incident resulted in a two-day stay at Newton-Wellesley Hospital.

Close

Get the latest breaking news sent directly to your phone. Download our free app.
Love Letters
Do I have to block him?
January 18, 2019 | 8:29 AM
Love Letters
Dating as a single mom
January 16, 2019 | 8:36 AM