We’re busily getting the next issue of Design New England ready, but I can’t stop
thinking of the cozy window seating areas Marc Hall, Paula Robinson Rossouw,
and Teri Maher so expressively brought to life in Selections in the September/
October issue. As the weather cools down and the air gets crisper, here’s seven
products that inspire my idea of a great spot to gaze out and ponder the world.
1. The piece of most importance if the spot is to be cozy – the seating. Try one with
a silhouette that’s out of the ordinary – Poet Sofa, designed by Finn Juhl, available
through Design Within Reach.
2. Anchor the whole area, whether large or small, with a statement rug – hand-
knotted Sheldon Rug in Cape Blue, starts at $2,300; Ralph Lauren Home.
3. Make conversations a bit more fancy with an antique telephone – 1930s Antique
Phone from Buenos Aires, $750; The Paris Apartment.
4. A sleek, sensual side table does the trick, holding a book or a cup of coffee or glass
of wine – Tina Sugar Round Side Table; Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams.
5. A 100 percent wool blanket made in Finland that the company says is “nice for
wrapping oneself into.” Sounds good to me – Torkku Throw, Verso Design, available
at Michelle Willey and Didriks.
6. Everyone needs a basket to store those stray items when company drops in –
renewable water hyacinth Curved Storage Basket in large, $54; West Elm.
7. Pleasurable to the eye and the nose, a potted herb will get the creative juice going
(and perhaps the appetite) – Flowering Oregano, $68, Terrain.
8. Why not dabble in the arts when you have free time? – Westminster Wooden Box
Water Colour Set, Winsor & Newton.