The producers of “Magic Mike the Musical” have canceled the show’s Boston engagement at the Emerson Colonial Theatre, saying they “don’t feel the musical is ready for production,” according to a press release from the theater.
“Magic Mike” was scheduled to hold its worldwide premiere at the Colonial, with a five-week engagement running from Nov. 30, 2019 through Jan. 5, 2020, before a planned move to Broadway. A press release from the theater said that patrons who have already bought tickets to “Magic Mike” will receive full refunds.
Trouble with the production surfaced earlier this month when the musical’s writing team — book writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (of the “American Psycho’’ musical and TV’s “Riverdale’’), and composer Tom Kitt and lyricist Brian Yorkey (the duo who scored “Next to Normal’’ and “If/Then’’) — left the production due to creative differences.
“Magic Mike the Musical” is a prequel to the first “Magic Mike’’ movie, which starred Channing Tatum as Mike Lane, a Tampa construction worker by day and stripper by night who introduces a young coworker from his day job (Alex Pettyfer) to the latter, taboo profession. The musical, assuming it still gets made, will follow a college-aged Mike Lane as he first discovers stripping, and will be co-produced by Tatum and the film’s director, Steven Soderbergh.
A spokesman for the producers told the Boston Globe Thursday that an announcement about “what the next step will be” will be made in the next week or so.