The organization started in honor of 8-year-old Martin Richard, who was killed in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings, is now accepting applications for its 2015 Boston Marathon team. The Martin W. Richard Charitable Foundation hopes to build upon its success at last year’s marathon where it raised $1.25 million.
“Through the generosity of the Boston Athletic Association, what the 102 members of the inaugural Team MR8 accomplished was nothing short of incredible, and it exceeded our every expectation,’’ said Bill Richard, Martin’s father, who co-founded the charity with his wife Denise on January 2, 2014 in a statement. “There was such a powerful response to Martin’s message of ‘No more hurting people. Peace’ during last year’s Boston Marathon, and we are excited to build on that momentum by welcoming in this year’s group of runners who will come together as a team while also building a strong bond with our foundation.’’
If you wish to “Run for Martin’’ and be a part of team MR8, the deadline to apply is Oct. 29. All applicants must commit to raising $7,500 for the Foundation. Runners who are already registered but still want to “Run for Martin’’ are committed to raising $2,000.
“The application and selection process for Team MR8 is very important to us,’’ said Martin’s mother Denise Richard, who oversees the application process. “We wrote the application as a family, with the kids contributing several of the more unique questions, and we read and discuss every application as we work with our selection committee to assemble a team that is both passionate and compassionate.’’
Richard’s father said all proceeds will go toward the Foundation’s three areas of focus: education, athletics and community, “each of which were very important to our son,’’ he said.