With great power, comes great responsibility. Voltaire said it long ago and it still resonates, especially when you’re talking about the ethical use of data.
As big data and machine learning become essential in business operations, we’re seeing more and more flaws in data-driven algorithms and malpractice in the use of data emerge. This New York Times article entitled “Your Apps Know Where You Were Last Night, and They’re Not Keeping It Secret,” is just one recent example. Facebook, as we all know, is another.
As even more stories emerge in the mainstream media, it’s clear that government, businesses, from the fortune 500 to the earliest stage startup, and individuals all need to take the responsible handling of data seriously.
In collaboration with Insight Data Science, join us as we gather a panel of experts for a crash course in data ethics by exploring questions like:
- Why is data ethics so important right now?
- What are some of the biggest challenges of data ethics?
- Why should companies and consumers care about data ethics?
- How should they safeguard themselves?
- Should we expect a data scientist to address social, economic and political bias in data models?
Registration & Networking: 5:30 - 6:00 PM
Welcome and Panel Discussion: 6:00 - 7:15 PM
Networking hour after the event 7:15 - 8:00 PM
Saturday, July 20
Sunday, July 21