Serves 6 with leftovers
6tablespoons olive oil4cloves garlic, finely chopped2large onions, chopped5stalks celery, chopped½cup pine nuts2teaspoons crushed red pepper6sprigs fresh oregano, leaves chopped 1teaspoon fennel seed1tablespoon tomato paste½cup raisins¼cup capers¼cup sugar½cup white wine½cup white wine vinegar5large tomatoes, chopped2large eggplant, choppedSalt and black pepper, to taste1½pounds spaghetti2cans (3 to 4 ounces each) boneless sardines in olive oil, drained ¼cup chopped fresh parsley2lemons, cut into wedges (for garnish)
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add the garlic, onions, and celery. Cook, stirring, for 8 minutes.
2. Add pine nuts, and cook 3 minutes more. Add the red pepper, oregano, and fennel seed. Cook for 2 minutes, or until aromatic. Stir in tomato paste, raisins, capers, and sugar. Cook 1 minute.
3. Add wine, vinegar, tomatoes, eggplant, salt, and black pepper. Cook over high heat, stirring often, for 30 minutes. Reserve 5 cups of the sauce for the strata.
4. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti for 10 to 12 minutes or until it is tender but still has some bite. Drain but do not rinse.
5. Return spaghetti to the pan and toss with remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil; set aside 8 cups of the spaghetti for the strata.
6. In a large bowl, toss the remaining sauce and spaghetti with the sardines. Divide the mixture among 6 plates. Sprinkle with parsley and garnish with lemon. Karoline Boehm Goodnick