Serves 6 with leftovers
3tablespoons olive oil3red onions, stems intact, each cut into 6 wedgesSalt and pepper, to taste1clove garlic, finely chopped2teaspoons ground cinnamon 2teaspoons paprika1teaspoon ground cumin1teaspoon ground coriander4large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces10carrots, cut into 2-inch lengths1quart water1cup pitted prunes2tablespoons honey½cup golden raisins2tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees.
2. In a large flameproof casserole over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onions cut sides down. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook without moving for 4 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Turn the onions to the other cut sides. Cook 4 minutes more.
3. Add the garlic, cinnamon, paprika, cumin, and coriander. Cook, stirring often, for 1 minute.
4. Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, water, prunes, and honey. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover the pan.
5. Transfer to the oven. Cook the mixture for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
6. Stir in the raisins and taste for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper, if you like. With a slotted spoon, set aside 3 cups vegetables and fruit (no liquid) for the bread pudding.
7. Transfer the remaining vegetables and fruits to a serving dish. Sprinkle with parsley. Sheryl Julian