3cups water1½cups short-grain brown ricePinch of salt
1. In a medium pot, combine the water, rice, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 45 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Reserve 3 cups rice for the rice bowls.
4cups water1piece (1 inch) ginger, thinly sliced1clove garlic, crushed2tablespoons soy sauce2limes1head Napa cabbage, thinly sliced3carrots, thinly sliced diagonally6skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (3 pounds total)Salt and pepper, to taste1teaspoon sesame oil4scallions, thinly sliced
1. In a large flameproof casserole, combine the water, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce. Squeeze 1 lime into the pot and add the squeezed lime rind. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. With a slotted spoon, remove ginger, garlic, and lime rinds.
3. Layer sliced cabbage in the poaching liquid. Add a layer of carrots, then the chicken breasts, skinned sides up, salt, and pepper. The chicken will not be submerged. Return the mixture to a boil, lower the heat, and cover the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
4. Set aside 2 chicken breasts, 2 cups vegetables, and ¾ cup cooking liquid for the rice bowls.
5. Ladle about ¼ cup rice onto each plate, top with cabbage, carrots, and 1 chicken breast. Sprinkle with sesame oil and scallions. Quarter the remaining lime and add a piece to each plate. Karoline Boehm Goodnick