When Gov. Charlie Baker revealed that Massachusetts restaurants would be able to reopen in Phase 2 and bars in Phase 4 under the state’s four-phase reopening plan, some restaurant owners thought: Too late.
As the coronavirus pandemic continues to cause economic upheaval across the world, restaurants and bars in the Greater Boston area have steadily started to close — and will likely continue to do so even while the economy recovers. Bob Luz, president and CEO of the Massachusetts Restaurant Association, previously told Boston.com that he anticipates 25 percent or more of independent restaurants won’t survive the pandemic. A second resurgence of the virus could alter that number even further.
While many restaurants are continuing to fight through the global health crisis by offering takeout and delivery, applying for aid, adding patio seating, or waiting to see what happens beyond Phase 3, here are the restaurants that have closed amid COVID-19.
This list will be updated; please check back for additional closures. In the meantime, if you have any tips on upcoming restaurant and bar closures, send an e-mail and any relevant photos to firstname.lastname@example.org, or submit information here.
New in November:
November 12 – Grumpy White’s: The 40-year-old Quincy restaurant will close its doors on Nov. 21, employee Laurie Myette told Boston.com. Before it shutters, diners should make time to stop by for some macaroni and cheese, one of the house favorites at Grumpy’s.
November 12 – The Kitchen Cafe: “It’s been a fantastic 4 years and we want to thank all our customers for all the fun and experiences,” The Kitchen Cafe shared in an Instagram post on November 10. The breakfast and lunch destination, located in downtown’s Leather District, cited the pandemic as the cause behind the closure. “Stay healthy and optimistic for the future,” the announcement concluded.
November 13 – Fuku: Fried chicken joint Fuku closed its Seaport location after two years of serving fried chicken sandwiches and slushies. But there might be hope for a comeback. “While our Boston Seaport location will not reopen, our plan is to bring Fuku back to the Boston market via a REEF Neighborhood Kitchen in 2021,” Fuku CEO, Alex Munoz-Suarez, said in a press release. “For the past two years we’ve been part of the Boston community and our goal is to return soon so that we can continue to serve our many loyal customers via a delivery model.”
November 20 – Gaslight: “Gaslight has been a Boston restaurant institution for 15 years and with our lease expiring, we have decided to close our doors and look to the future,” Seth Woods, chef and founder of The Aquitaine Group (Gaslight, Aquitaine Boston, Aquitaine Chestnut Hill, Metropolis Cafe), shared in a press release. The French brasserie will shutter after brunch service on Nov. 22, roughly four months after sister restaurant Cinquecento closed its doors.
November 23 – Wonder Bar: Allston nightlife destination Wonder Bar has gone dark. “As everyone probably already knows, Wonder Bar will not reopen due to the coronavirus and the resulting government shutdowns,” owner Noah Eisendrath shared on social media. “It has taken me a while to write this because after 15 years it is difficult to put to words. I want to thank all of my staff over the years and of course the patrons! We had a great run and I will never forget all the amazing people and incredible events.”
Earlier restaurant closures:
Missing your favorite restaurant? Share your memories with us here or in the survey below.
Get Boston.com's e-mail alerts:
Sign up and receive coronavirus news and breaking updates, from our newsroom to your inbox.
This discussion has ended. Please join elsewhere on Boston.com