Recipe provided by Legal Sea Foods executive Chef Rich Vellante.Serves 4-6
2 lbs – Atlantic cod fillet
1 – Large Spanish onion (sliced thin)
1 – Granny smith apple (peeled, cored and cut into slices)
2 Tablespoons – Honey
¾ cup – apple cider
¼ teaspoon – ground coriander
½ cup panko bread crumbs
¼ cup- olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
Method for cooking:
1. On stove put sauté pan on medium heat. Add oil, sliced onion, apples, honey and begin to caramelize onions. After 5 minutes (stirring occasionally), add coriander, apple cider, salt and pepper and continue cooking for another 15 minutes. Adjusting heat or stirring if needed to prevent scorching.
2. Once onion and apple mixture is caramelized and softened (liquid should be reduced, so onion mix is just moist not watery), remove from heat and add to a Cuisinart and pulse mixture to a rough chop. Fold in bread crumbs and cool in refrigerator.
3. Cut cod fillets into portion size you desire and place on sheet pan. Salt and pepper cod fillets and coat with cooled onion apple mixture.
4. Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 – 18 minutes depending on fillet size and oven temperature.
5. Serve with your favorite creamed spinach recipe. Place creamed spinach on plate and put crusted cod on top.