Ray Bourque admits to drunk driving, loses license for 225 days

Lawrence, MA - 7/6/2016  -    Former Boston Bruins defenseman Ray Bourque leaves Lawrence District Court in Lawrence, MA, July 6, 2016. (Jessica Rinaldi/Globe Staff)
Topic: 07bourque
Former Boston Bruins defenseman Ray Bourque leaves Lawrence District Court. –Jessica Rinaldi / Boston Globe

Former Boston Bruins star Ray Bourque will have his drunk driving case dismissed if he stays out of trouble for the next year, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Bourque, 55, was arrested on June 25 and charged with operating under the influence after the Mercedes he was driving struck a minivan in a construction zone in Andover. Bourque told the officer that he’d had a few drinks at the Andover Country Club, according to investigators.

He changed in Lawrence District Court Wednesday, admitting the prosecution had facts sufficient to convict him in the case. The judge continued the case without a finding for one year. He will lose his license for 225 days — 180 for refusing a breath test, plus an additional 45 days as levied by the judge.

Advertisement

Essex County prosecutors had asked for an additional 90 days.

Defense attorney Gerard R. LaFlamme Jr. told the court that his client had been subjected to an “overwhelming” number of stories about his arrest. He said Bourque quickly took responsibility.

“‘I made a mistake. I had a lapse of judgement. I want to make sure I’m accountable for my actions and I want to do this as quickly as possible,'” LaFlamme said Bourque told him.

 

Loading Comments...