Boston police officer indicted for allegedly misleading shooting investigation

Officer Korey Franklin made false statements to a police 911 dispatcher and the officers who responded to the shooting inside his Hyde Park home, prosecutors allege.

Boston police officer Korey Franklin is led into the prisoner's dock for his arraignment in West Roxbury Municipal Court on Dec. 26, 2018. Pat Greenhouse/Globe Staff

A Suffolk County grand jury has indicted a Boston police officer who allegedly lied to authorities investigating a shooting in his home that left his wife seriously injured late last year.

Prosecutors allege Korey Franklin, 33, made false statements to a police 911 dispatcher and the officers who responded to the Christmas Eve shooting inside his Hyde Park home, according to a statement from District Attorney Rachael Rollins’s office.

Franklin, a decorated, seven-year veteran of the department, intended to “mislead and impede the ensuing investigation” by providing false information about how the shooting occurred, officials said.

In December, prosecutors said officers responded to Franklin’s home around 1 p.m. on Dec. 24 after the couple had been arguing and found a woman with a nonlife-threatening gunshot wound.


Franklin said the injury was self-inflicted.

The woman was shot once in the groin, according to the statement.

Franklin, whose lawyer said the shooting was an accident, was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon last year.

“Based on a lengthy grand jury investigation and review of forensic findings, the evidence at present supported the single indictment, a felony under the Massachusetts witness intimidation statute,” officials said Monday. “If additional information emerges regarding the shooting, the BPD Domestic Violence Unit and the Suffolk District Attorney’s Office will investigate further. Additional details of the evidence will be presented during arraignment.”

Franklin has been on paid administrative leave since the shooting, according to the statement. He is scheduled to be arraigned on May 30 in Suffolk Superior Court.