Boston police arrested a 21-year-old Dorchester man late Tuesday night who they identified as the second suspect being sought in connection with the fatal officer-involved shooting earlier this week. The other suspect, a 19-year-old man, was fatally wounded by officers after police say he fired a gun at them during a foot chase.
Ernest Watkins is facing charges of assault by means of a dangerous weapon, unlawful possession of a firearm, and unlawful possession of ammunition.
Boston police said around 5:15 p.m. on Monday officers responded to a radio call for shots fired near Town Field in Dorchester.
“On arrival, officers observed two black male suspects fleeing from the scene,” police said Wednesday. “Officers continued their pursuit of the suspects, one of whom fled up Mather Street.”
Police said the other man, who officers observed carrying a gun, fled to the area of 10 Penhallow St. and fired at the pursuing officers. The officers returned fire, and the suspect, identified by authorities only as being a 19-year-old man, was fatally wounded.
“The second suspect, who was later identified as Ernest Watkins, made good on his escape from officers,” police said. “Officers continued to search the area for Watkins to no avail.”
Watkins was arrested in the area of Melville and Dorchester avenues around 10:24 p.m. on Tuesday. He is expected to be arraigned in Dorchester District Court, and the investigation into the shooting is ongoing.
Suffolk County District Attorney Rachael Rollins has asked for “patience and calm” from the public as the Discharge Integrity Team in her office conducts a review of the officer-involved shooting that “left the city shaken.”
“If there is anyone in the community with additional information, please bring that to my office directly,” she said.